Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are people posting 4k videos on the internet

1. Default Why are people posting 4k videos on the internet

as per the title really. Whats the point of posting a 4k video which is 829440 pixels, on the internet where 99.9 percent of viewers will be watching it on a screen no bigger than a 15 inch macbook pro which even with a retina screen is 5184000 pixels. Now don't get me wrong 4k is a great tool for re framing stuff but unless your making a video about 4k then its almost pointless posting on the internet in 4k and thats before you even get to issues like viewing distances, video compression and internet speeds

I think it's a "size" thing, probably compensating for deficiencies elsewhere at a guess

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    I think it's a "size" thing, probably compensating for deficiencies elsewhere at a guess
    Well put.

What he (zam) said.

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    I'll disagree I'm afraid.

Give us more choice and not less. If you can't use 4K yet don't get bitter about it, use the quality you want to use and move on.

Lots of people post 1080p videos, but if I look at my web site statistics many people still have only 1024x768 monitors, so why bother even with 1080p? The installed base of 1080p viewers didn't appear overnight, it was a gradual thing, so were the early posters of 1080p any more wrong than the early posters of 4K today?

How many videos were posted in 1080p before the vast majority of people had 1080p capable systems, yet once they upgraded they can now be watched in 1080?

Some people do have 4K monitors or UHD TVs already and the number is only going to increase. As more people get 4K viewing capability then your video is more likely to be watched in 4K in the future. It's called future proofing

Currently I can only view videos in 2.7K, but much prefer to watch 2.7K than 1080p upscaled - it just looks that much better. If you don't agree, or you only have a 1080p monitor then that's fine, save your bandwidth, but please don't tell me there's no difference, because clearly there is.

My next TV will be 4K, no question about it, and since smart TVs can also view YouTube then it would make sense to watch those videos in 4K where possible.

A much better question is why some people post videos at all? Many of them are merely regurgitating other people's copyrighted material or have such poor production value they are painful to watch or listen to.

Some people post perfectly good videos, things I'd even want to watch, but they are too "low" a resolution. One I really wanted to see recently provided some excellent instructional information but was posted on youtube at 240p. C'mon guys, there's not enough detail on screen to see what you're talking about.

So, I'm all for people posting in 4K if they have that ability.

6. Default

I would disagree with you, I donít think 4k is worth it, at the moment there just isnít the infrastructure to support it. Iím sure we have all seen the 4k tvís in PC world or where ever and yes they look absolutely stunning but they are in a showroom with losless media being played on them so they look at their best.

Granted you can watch youtube stuff on your smart tv at 4k but I find that even with my fibre optic fast broadband connection, I still get buffering at 4k and even if that wasnít an issue, the video compression from you tube would be. I do film in 4k when I can as its a really useful tool but I would never bother exporting in 4k, it just seems pointless at the moment.

I do agree with you that people should concentrate more on content quality rather than pixel quantity though

I rarely get any buffering problems at 2.7K. I can't say for 4K since I think it's my computer that struggles to resize.

Obviously if you're only on a smaller screen then playing 4K is pointless, and what looks like buffering problems could be hardware playback issues.

The difference in visual quality from 4K to 2.7K to 1080p is night and day obvious on a good screen when you're sat fairly close (i.e. at my desk).

But it's OK for you to disagree, just keep watching 1080p and be happy.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    I rarely get any buffering problems at 2.7K. I can't say for 4K since I think it's my computer that struggles to resize.

Obviously if you're only on a smaller screen then playing 4K is pointless, and what looks like buffering problems could be hardware playback issues.
    Thats kind of my point really. If your making a video for the masses then whats the point of doing it in 4k if the majority of the machines that its being viewed on have to resize it. I mean fair enough there will be a very small number of poeple like yourself who have the facility and the inclination to watch in 4k but I don't think the films that make you laugh, cry, cringe or move you, do so because they where shot in 4k

Quote Originally Posted by bigglesuk View Post
    Thats kind of my point really. If your making a video for the masses then whats the point of doing it in 4k if the majority of the machines that its being viewed on have to resize it. I mean fair enough there will be a very small number of poeple like yourself who have the facility and the inclination to watch in 4k but I don't think the films that make you laugh, cry, cringe or move you, do so because they where shot in 4k
    But if you're on a smaller screen machine - don't watch it in 4K, watch it at 720p. I really don't see the problem here.

Why bother uploading 1080p if some people only have 1024x768?

What about the 56K dial up people? There are still tens of thousands of these people, some not very far from me, yet I've got 100mb download and it's just not a problem.

Over time we'll all migrate over to h265 which will make things even better.

I disagree that you should only create and upload stuff that 'all' users can see at it's very best, if that had been the case 1080p would never have taken off.

I don't see why you're so anti-4K for those who 'can' take advantage of it, other than you can't watch it yourself, so don't think others should either?
    Last edited by David Partington; 01-07-2015 at 03:42 PM.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    But if you're on a smaller screen machine - don't watch it in 4K, watch it at 720p. I really don't see the problem here.

Why bother uploading 1080p if some people only have 1024x768?

What about the 56K dial up people? There are still tens of thousands of these people, some not very far from me, yet I've got 100mb download and it's just not a problem.

Over time we'll all migrate over to h265 which will make things even better.

I disagree that you should only create and upload stuff that 'all' users can see at it's very best, if that had been the case 1080p would never have taken off.

I don't see why you're so anti-4K for those who 'can' take advantage of it, other than you can't watch it yourself, so don't think others should either?
    I'm definitely not anti 4k, I think its incredible. What I don't like is this must have obsessiveness that happens when a new technology arrives and the ignorance that often surrounds it, people wanting it purely because they have been told that its better. I'm sure someone like yourself who clearly understands the technology and knows how to get the best out of it, would definitely benefit from it , but when you look at the tosh that is chucked out on youtube under the 4k banner then you begin to think whats the point. Its like giving strawberries to the pigs.
    Film making is an art form and a very difficult one at that, 4k is just another tool to enhance your story telling capabilities it should be used in an intelligent manner and not like a sledge hammer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast