Thread: One works the other doesnt

Default One works the other doesnt

i've downloaded 2 episodes, each one from a different series and i've transferred them to my usb so i could watch them on my tv
    now the problem is the one video will play, and the other wont and i've checked their description and they are pretty much the same
    both are mp4,mpeg-4,aspect ration,aac,same resolution
    only different in bitrate and few other minor things
    what do you think could be the problem?
    i know that my tv doesnt play mkv files

Wow, we're supposed to diagnose the problem from that small amount of information? Sorry, but that's not nearly enough!

The 'minor' things could well be the important differences, so how do you know they are minor?

haha i dont know much about video and all that but i thought that was the important info
    anyway i've added a pictures of the details i could find
    this one works

and this one doesnt

if you need more infromation tell me
    Attached Images Attached Images

The most obvious difference appears to be the different audio sampling rates. The simplest way to check whether that is a likely candidate is to find another file that will play, and compare the audio sampling rates with your video file that does play. And ideally, of course do the same with a file that won't play!.....

Although most audio in video files use 48KHz, the use of 44.1KHz (which is the mandatory sampling rate for CD audio) is used in AAC audio tracks for video on occasion.
    I seem to recall that some players don't like it....whether your TV is one of those?....

Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by rogs View Post
    The most obvious difference appears to be the different audio sampling rates. The simplest way to check whether that is a likely candidate is to find another file that will play, and compare the audio sampling rates with your video file that does play. And ideally, of course do the same with a file that won't play!.....

Although most audio in video files use 48KHz, the use of 44.1KHz (which is the mandatory sampling rate for CD audio) is used in AAC audio tracks for video on occasion.
    I seem to recall that some players don't like it....whether your TV is one of those?....

Just a thought...
    i think you're on to something
    I've checked the movies i have and they are all in 48K and another series i have which works in it's also in 48K
    tomorrow i could truly check if that's the problem cuz im not in my home
    but if it is the problem, is there a way to change the audio sample rate?

I use a free tool called streamclip to change videos from one spec to another - this could work for you

The audio was the important minor stuff I was thinking about. My TVs will "play" or "not play" a file based on the audio encoding.