Thread: Newbie with a big lens !

Default Newbie with a big lens !

I have used my 5D mark III and EF 400mm f/2.8 IS II for a while shooting wildlife stills and would like to try and shoot some video. I have a basic understanding of operating the camera to shoot video.
    Can anyone suggest a set up to use shooting wildlife from a mobile hide so not moving around much.

Starting with a tripod, would a heavy duty stills tripod be man enough for the job, one with a 20kg load capacity or will a video tripod be essential ?

I would like to use a fluid head and a rig with a focus follower set up but is there any gear for such a big lens 340mm long and 3.8kgs !!. My lens focus ring is a rather large 130mm diameter. I am thinking something like a Jag35 DSLR Baseplate V2 and
    Z- Finder pro 3 viewfinder to start with.

I would love to be able to use the lens as it takes amazing quality stills but I need a practical set up that will work as I realise focusing would be critical at 400mm.
    A weight training regime is underway to carry all the extra gear !!

Many thanks

What sort of wildlife?

Birds mainly, larger species wetland and shore birds so nothing to fast moving maybe waders running around but no flight shots . Also larger mammals deer etc.