Thread: Glidecam Tutorials: How to balance and operate with your DSLR

Default Glidecam Tutorials: How to balance and operate with your DSLR

Hi guys

It's been a while since I've posted here so here goes. I thought I'd give back to the film-making community by sharing some knowledge on glidecam stabilisers and how to achieve effective smooth tracking shots. I created two tutorials. One for initial setup and balancing and another for operating. I need to work on my on screen presence a little but overall I think it came out well. Let me know what you think

Cal Thomson | Camera Operator | www.calthomson.com

Blog Entries

I thought these were great, Callum. Never having used a Glidecam, but obviously being aware of what they're used for, these appeared to give a very good coverage of how to use them. No frills, just simple basic rules and demonstration. I loved the examples at the beginning of each video and afterwards I realised that, whilst the second one was good, it might have been considerably better if you'd had a subject to track. Indeed a tacking shot without a subject, followed by one with would have really sold the tutorial for me. But I was so impressed I'm now looking up the cost of something suitable. Nice one!
    Tim

3. Default

Nice job! I use a Glidecam 4000 with a Sony FS100 but found the weight too much (especially when using a 24-70 lens) so had to add a vest.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I loved the examples at the beginning of each video and afterwards I realised that, whilst the second one was good, it might have been considerably better if you'd had a subject to track.
    I was actually planning on tracking my girlfriend in the video but due to clash of schedules it didn't work out and figured it was fine considering the use of B-roll examples.

Glad you liked it. I really enjoyed making the tutorials and I'm going to shoot a couple more to see the response
    Cal Thomson | Camera Operator | www.calthomson.com