Thread: Merging Videos onto One Screen

Default Merging Videos onto One Screen

I'm trying to get a whole bunch of videos on screen, playing at one time. The idea would be to slowly pan into the central video.

Any ideas how this can be achieved?

I'm using Sony Vegas Pro 9. I've attached these two pictures to illustrate what I'm trying to achieve.

Any help would be great!

Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

I can think of two ways off the top of my head (and I've just tried them to prove they work)

Both work. The first makes control easier if you want to edit the timing, but the second is preferable from a quality point of view.

Doing this with 9 videos is easiest because it just so happens that it makes aligning the boxes easier in the Pan and Crop dialog.

Method 1:

Track 1 contains your master track.
    Tracks 2-10 contain videos 1-9

For each of tracks 1-9 open the pan and crop tool, expand the "F" figure to exactly three times the width and height of the original video and then position the "F" figure so the video is in the correct position (ie so video 1 is in the top left sector)
    Make each track a child of track 1 (aka parent each track to tack 1)

Once you have done this for every track, you should see all 9 videos in position like your first figure.

Now open parent track motion for track 1 - this is the icon on the far left side of the track header, next to "Level".
    Make a keyframe where you want the video to start zooming in.
    Move to where you want the video zoomed in and use the parent track motion tool to zoom right in to the centre video only.

And that's it! You can move the keyframes to change where you want the zooming to occur.

What you might notice with that method is that the quality of the video suffers as you move in. This is because you have reduced the size of the original image in pan and crop by 2/3 and now you are zooming in on that reduced image.

So, I recommend...

Method 2:

Tracks 1-9 contain videos 1-9.
    For each of tracks 1-9 open the pan and crop tool, expand the "F" figure to exactly three times the width and height of the original video and then position the "F" figure so the video is in the correct position (ie so video 1 is in the top left sector) as above, but this time make sure the keyframe that is created within the event in the P&C timeline is at the point where you want the zoom to begin. At this stage this should be the ONLY keyframe on the P&C timeline for each event. (fig 1)
    fig1.jpg

Now move the cursor to where you want the zoom to have finished. (I find it easiest to do this with track/video 5 first)
    Click on the P&C Icon.
    In the P&C dialog, select "(Default)" in Preset drop down. This will make the video fill the "F" shape again.
    In the case of track 5 leave it as it is.
    In all other cases you must drag the "F" shape so it is just off the image.
    The direction you drag it depends on which video you are dealing with. For video 1, you need the video to have disappeared off to the top left, so you should position the "F" shape so that it's top left corner just abuts the bottom right of the video for video1.
    (see fig 2)
    fig2.jpg
    You need to do this for every track, but it is essential that you do not move the cursor so that the keyframes on each event occur in exactly the same place.

If you do need to change the timing, you will need to ensure you change the keyframes in every event to match.

Method two actually sounds a lot more complicated than it is. Give it a try.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 12-19-2014 at 05:44 PM.
    Tim