Thread: rendering choices and formats

Default rendering choices and formats

Lets say I have a project in vegas pro 9. I render a bunch of those clips as wmv, then I start a new progect in vegas pro 9 and render those clips as an avi. Will the quality suffer? In other words do I need to keep rendering format the same through out the process.
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Every time you render to a different format you lose something. Every time you render you lose something unless you manage to render without recompression (ie it's one of teh formats Vegas will do this with AND you haven't applied anything except straight cuts)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Every time you render to a different format you lose something. Every time you render you lose something unless you manage to render without recompression (ie it's one of teh formats Vegas will do this with AND you haven't applied anything except straight cuts)
    now what would be the best format so this can go on a DVD? Wmv,avi?

Quote Originally Posted by lakepirate48 View Post
    now what would be the best format so this can go on a DVD? Wmv,avi?
    MPEG-2 (that is what a DVD uses). In the Vegas Render As dialog, for video select MPEG-2, and then select one of the DVD Architect templates. You choose either NTSC or PAL and then choose either the standard (4:3) or the widescreen template, depending on the aspect ratio of your project. You then render the audio using the AC-3 or WAV option. AC-3 is a better option for most users because it takes up less space.
    All of this and more is in this SCS KB article, which has the guidelines you should follow when using Vegas. The DVD Architect Pro authoring software has been included in Vegas Pro purchases since v 10 at least, maybe earlier, not in the current Vegas Pro Edit packages though.
    You may need to customize the bit rate in the MPEG-2 DVD Architect compliant template to fit your video on a DVD. Use a bit rate calculator.
    Last edited by vkmast; 12-19-2014 at 11:30 PM.

If you are using the DVD purely as a data storage disk then MP4 would be fine - or whatever format you are happy with for that matter but MP4 is reasonably compact

if you want to be able to stick your DVD in a standard store-bought DVD player and watch it then your software will probably write directly to it in the official DVD format ...

if you look on an existing DVD you will see files with a .vob extension (the data inside these files will be in mpeg2 format) - note that the resolution will be 720x480 which isn't what you want if your input is HD

if I were you I'd put my stuff on Vimeo and point people there instead of writing to a DVD - if you absolutely want physical media then write your HD output to blu-ray

if you are simply trying to save your stuff for the grand kids then your guess is as good as mine - people on this forum have drawers full of Super 8, VHS, mini DV etc that may as well be blocks of wood - I'm transferring my old videos to a pair of multi-TB USB drives but that's just me

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    if you want to be able to stick your DVD in a standard store-bought DVD player and watch it then your software will probably write directly to it in the official DVD format ...
    Yes, Vegas Pro has an option to create a disc from the timeline. Use Tools > Burn Disc > DVD. It has only the PCM option for audio and you cannot customize the bit rate there.

Thanks all! Good info. DVD architect is a bear for me. Just started looking at it.
    So here is another question. In this project let's say I have rendered it all to wmv. I then realize I need to inset section. If I insert into rendered piece , then tender it all again ,will I loose quality if I say in same format. Being new, it's a challange to insert into existing projects with lots of edits. I end up moving clips I did not want to move

I'm not sure why you are fixated on .wmv

if you import your raw video into Vegas, get the movie the way you want it, then render it to the format you need (hint - NOT .wmv) then you should be fine

Because it's the only format that after rendering looks normal. Others make video look weird like too tall. I guess that could be the size I choose? Like 1180 , 720. Sorry very much a newbie here

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lakepirate48 View Post
    Because it's the only format that after rendering looks normal. Others make video look weird like too tall. I guess that could be the size I choose? Like 1180 , 720. Sorry very much a newbie here
    You need to find the right render options to get the overall aspect ratio (height to width proportion) correct. There should be a high quality preset that works. It's going to have something to do with pixel count (height & width) and pixel aspect ratio.

In general you want to keep the image quality high during production, render it to a high quality master and then render that as needed for a given end use. Rendering to .wmv will lose quality that can't be recovered. Re-rendering loses more quality each time you do it.