Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jump Rope Demo 2014

1. Default Jump Rope Demo 2014

I have submitted some of these videos of mine before and most people say that being able to see the rope is very important. I tried this time to focus more on that and to make sure that to people who do not jump rope can tell what is happening. I made this video mainly to attach with college applications because they are usually interested in the fact that I jump rope, but don't really know much about it. Let me know what you think!

Try using a monopod and probably a (prime) lens with a wider aperture (lower F value) and longer focal length (higher zoom level). Probably slightly too long for non-rope-skippers (I saw enough at 2:30) but overall not bad though.

Blog Entries

I enjoy watching these. You can keep your skateboarding, motorbiking, freerunning, bmxing, skiing (sorry Ray!) or wakeboarding vids - I just enjoy watching the skills shown here - especially the synchronised stuff. Personal content preference - nothing to do with how well filmed or edited.

However, if I was on the selection panel for a college I'm not going to watch more than a minute (if that). So make a minute of your best stuff, perhaps a minute explaining the sport, the reach (how many people do it) and teh benefits whilst showing the best shots.

I might also question whether you are entitled to use the music - so some sort of notice/caption explaining your right to use the music would go a long way to showing you understand your moral and legal obligations. I assume that would impress.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    skiing (sorry Ray!)
    Never mind

I enjoy watching these. You can keep your skateboarding, motorbiking, freerunning, bmxing, skiing (sorry Ray!) or wakeboarding vids - I just enjoy watching the skills shown here - especially the synchronised stuff. Personal content preference - nothing to do with how well filmed or edited.
    I recognize the skill involved, but I prefer the experience aspect of videos - I'd like to say "wow that run had some beautiful scenery" rather than "wow that run was beautifully executed" - which means I write off most of the summer Olympics as repetitive twiddle-twaddle but really enjoy the downhill in the Winter Olympics

Ill keep the skateboarding, motorbiking, freerunning, bmxing and skiing videos and you can keep the running, jumping, lifting and tossing videos

The synchronized aspect is even worse since It means you had to execute the same motions over and over and over again until you get it right - and you never really do

its like Jed clampett said when he was presented with a ship in a bottle - "... it looks like you wasted a ship ... and a bottle"
    Last edited by zamiotana; 12-18-2014 at 02:30 AM.

Blog Entries

Interesting - sorry to JumPROper but this has spurred me on to going off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    I recognize the skill involved, but I prefer the experience aspect of videos - I'd like to say "wow that run had some beautiful scenery"
    Ill keep the skateboarding, motorbiking, freerunning, bmxing and skiing videos and you can keep the running, jumping, lifting and tossing videos
    This makes no sense to me. If you want to go "wow" at the scenery, don't the skiers etc just get in the way? What's the point of them being there and don't they just force the camera to be looking in directions that you might not want to look.

And we can look at it fro the opposite angle - doesn't great scenery detract from the action? I do have some understanding of where you're coming from in that the popularity of cycling on TV in the UK grew partly through people wanting to see the scenery as the (eg) Tour de France made it's way across parts of north-west Europe. But in that particular case, real action rare (and invariably missed by the cameramen as you can't have one per rider)

For me, stuff that's just "there", like snowy covered mountains, is far better experienced through a (good) still photo. That way the viewer can take in different elements of the image at his or her own pace rather than being forced to follow the timings imposed by the editor. I find this the main shortcoming of many, many amateur travelogues/documentaries - especially films about stately homes and castles.

Exterior scenery comes to life a bit more if there's some wildlife - but then it's more about the wildlife than the scenery.

The synchronized aspect is even worse since It means you had to execute the same motions over and over and over again until you get it right - and you never really do
    That's either harsh or an acceptance of what makes us human.
    Tim

And we can look at it fro the opposite angle - doesn't great scenery detract from the action? I do have some understanding of where you're coming from in that the popularity of cycling on TV in the UK grew partly through people wanting to see the scenery as the (eg) Tour de France made it's way across parts of north-west Europe. But in that particular case, real action rare (and invariably missed by the cameramen as you can't have one per rider).
    you have hit on the point I was trying to make - you made a nice cycling video a while ago which was outside in the environment - I'd rather see cycling in the environment rather than on a featureless track, even if you don't necessarily see the moment where #115 passes #72 in the final stretch

Blog Entries

you have hit on the point I was trying to make - you made a nice cycling video a while ago which was outside in the environment - I'd rather see cycling in the environment rather than on a featureless track, even if you don't necessarily see the moment where #115 passes #72 in the final stretch
    But ... you don't need the cyclists for what you want to see.
    And someone who's a keen follower of the tour primarily interested in "the moment where #115 passes #72 in the final stretch" and his interest in the environment is technical (it's a category 4 climb) rather than the scenery.

The cycling video I made hardly shows beautiful Britain Rather a road, a roundabout and a 1850s railway bridge
    Having said that I hope the video was more about enthusiatic amateurs doing their thing than about cycling per se.
    Tim

But ... you don't need the cyclists for what you want to see.
    And someone who's a keen follower of the tour primarily interested in "the moment where #115 passes #72 in the final stretch" and his interest in the environment is technical (it's a category 4 climb) rather than the scenery.

The cycling video I made hardly shows beautiful Britain Rather a road, a roundabout and a 1850s railway bridge
    Having said that I hope the video was more about enthusiatic amateurs doing their thing than about cycling per se.
    As I recall I was more interested in your scintillating description of how you filmed the cyclists - shinnying up the lamp post in your underpants to get the establishing shot - hiding out in the bushes with your zoom lens to capture candid shots of the young lady through the 2nd floor window - having an accomplice hurl streamers at the passing cyclists so you could simulate motion trails - now THAT was film!
    Last edited by zamiotana; 12-19-2014 at 01:46 AM.

Blog Entries

All the time hand-cranked. It would have been un-British to remove my underpants.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast