Thread: Isolate voices from mono audio recording of dialog

Question Isolate voices from mono audio recording of dialog

Hi folks,

I have a mono audio recording of dialog. I need to isolate both voices into separate tracks. Is it possible to do it automatically?

Thanks

Blog Entries

I'm interested in how you think software might be able to do this. How do you (with your brain) do this. Once you can define the problem in those terms we can look at how software might.

Are the two voices speaking simultaneously? If so - no chance!

And I think you are under a misunderstanding of what dialogue means. The "di" does not mean "two". Dialogue can be spoken by one or many people
    Tim

I'm assuming at this point that the goal is to be able to pan them left and right in a stereo mix? If not ignore everything I'm about to say!

If there is no background sound and the voices never overlap then you can make two tracks, pan one left and the other right, dropping the volume of each track appropriately (you could even just keyframe the panning from a single track).

The problem comes when you don't have total silence in the background since it will be obvious to the person listening that the background sound is also moving left and right which is totally unnatural.

If you have 'room tone' (sound recorded without people speaking - typically a minute or more) then you may be able to put that behind them both to try to cover it. Unfortunately room tone is something most people forget to record.

Also, if you do choose to pan left and right, don't go all the way because that also sounds unnatural. As humans we hear not only the sound form it's source (the person speaking) but also the reflections bouncing off everything else, so just a little left and right can sound much better than all the way.

It's also possible to simulate stereo using tracks that are out of phase, or tracks that have different tone (more / less treble & bass).

Blog Entries

David, I think you may have missed the word "automatically" in the original post
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    David, I think you may have missed the word "automatically" in the original post
    Yup. Doh!