Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urgent help please, adding clouds to the rain

Quote Originally Posted by nessto View Post
    ....And he was rude about it. To me it obviously was sarcasm.
    You should think carefully before assuming sarcasm or accusing people of being rude. Frankly, I thought your reply to him was extremely rude, but I stopped myself from posting that at the time.

You posted your samples AFTER they had replied, but you should have been more specific in your initial post because we're not all mind readers and your post was not clear. It's clearer now with the samples, which you had the benefit of and we didn't.

You're looking for help on a program I've never used, so I can't be specific. If you have good cloud shots then overlaying that rain should be as easy as using a luma mask - assuming that software can do it.

How did you actually overlay it?

Post a sample still image (full res) from the output and maybe we can help with ideas of why the quality may not be what you are looking for. Posting a thumbnail will be no use.

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    You should think carefully before assuming sarcasm or accusing people of being rude. Frankly, I thought your reply to him was extremely rude, but I stopped myself from posting that at the time.

You posted your samples AFTER they had replied, but you should have been more specific in your initial post because we're not all mind readers and your post was not clear. It's clearer now with the samples, which you had the benefit of and we didn't.

You're looking for help on a program I've never used, so I can't be specific. If you have good cloud shots then overlaying that rain should be as easy as using a luma mask - assuming that software can do it.

How did you actually overlay it?

Post a sample still image (full res) from the output and maybe we can help with ideas of why the quality may not be what you are looking for. Posting a thumbnail will be no use.
    If he wasn't being rude and sarcastic then I am sorry. But you see for yourself that it could be handled differently. You can do that just by asking some questions. I've said that I have no idea what I'm doing so I don't know what info is clear enough. I've never had any contact with making movie clips and the program I downloaded, it's the first time I see it. I got that one because it had the highest ratings of all the free ones.

What I did was load the two files, connect it with merge and use alpha gain or burn in tool that it had there. I've tried both and both worked the same. When I knew how to do it, it was easy. But still the end effect is not what I expect. And I get only 30 seconds of it.

You say that you don't know my software, then maybe you know a different one I can use that will do the trick? As long as it's free (or trial) I can download anything.

Here's the picture http://i.imgur.com/egFYI9y.jpg It looks a lot better than the first thing I got but still far from the original picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Something like this: http://www.jp137.com/lvs/rain.mp4 is simple enough to do with free software. Depends if that's the sort of result you're after?....
    Last edited by rogs; 12-15-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rogs View Post
    Something like this: http://www.jp137.com/lvs/rain.mp4 is simple enough to do with free software. Depends if that's the sort of result you're after?....
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for!
    Though I'm not sure if in this one the rain is visible enough. I have to project it on a wall during the daytime. One I've made myself before, just to check if you can see it, was hardly visible.
    Wait, did you just make it with the rain I set as an example?

Quote Originally Posted by nessto View Post
    Wait, did you just make it with the rain I set as an example?
    Yes. If you want more rain -- and perhaps slower clouds?... and you want it 6 minutes long?.... Give me 30 minutes.

As I say it's not difficult, but as you're probably not familiar with Avisynth, Virtualdub or MVtools (all free tools) it's probably quicker to make it, than refer you to a bunch of tutorials.

I can link you to those if you want to try it yourself? The AVIsynth script itself is not exactly difficult! (copy attached)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rogs; 12-15-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Yes. If you want more rain -- and perhaps slower clouds?... and you want it 6 minutes?.... Give me 30 minutes.

As I say it's not difficult, but as you're probably not familiar with Avisynth, Virtualdub or MVtools (all free tools) it's probably quicker to make it, than refer you to a bunch of tutorials.
    Oh my gosh! You are a lifesaver!
    Yes, I'd like to have the rain more visible, like the lines brighter or something, can't really explain, hope you get what I say. I used this clip to make mine, not sure if it will be better or not https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fmk4uX9mTQ and it would be perfect if the clouds could move slower. As for the time, few minutes would be good so it doesn't have to go on repeat, I'm not sure how much I need exactly.

My head is already spinning from all the tutorials I've watched But I have one more question... Do you know any simple program just to cut video. I have Windows Movie Maker on another computer but it lowers the quality a lot and I can't get wide screen clip even after setting it to 16:9. So any suggestions on a different software that would actually work for a change?

Try this : http://www.jp137.com/lvs/rain.mp4

Brighter rain - slower clouds - 6 minutes long -

(It's about 150MB, so let me know when you've got it - it's a bit big to leave on my server!) (Edit: original now removed -- 30 second clip left for reference)

As to your other question ... I'm probably not the best guy to answer that. I started video editing with standard definition Mini DV footage, and got a bit spoilt with the ease of editing that format.
    When HD video came along, it's highly compressed 'native' format made it much more difficult to edit easily. These days, all the modern editing software packages - when coupled with a powerful computer - can deal easily with the format, using a variety of tricks like 'smart rendering' and 'proxy editing' to overcome the difficulty of editing HD video in it's native form.

I use a different approach. I convert my original HD video into an 'intraframe' format (like the old DV format) , which makes it much easier to deal with. The downside is large temporary 'working' files.
    There are several ways to convert to this kind of intermediate format -- I favour Grass Valley (Canopus) HQX , which is now free to convert and use.
    You can register with Grass Valley for a link to the free downloads... or you can find slightly earlier versions on their Taiwan site without registering;

See here: http://www.canopus.com.tw/PC/Downloa...ack(v652).html

http://www.canopus.com.tw/PC/Downloa...y_(v4.10).html

A similar format is Cineform HD, which is now free from Go Pro.

To edit those types of files - say with simple cuts and so forth - I would use the editing program Virtualdub. A pretty old - but very powerful - free editor, but not that 'user friendly'... so not used by that many folk these days!
    You can take a look here: http://www.virtualdub.org/

I'm afraid I'm not really up to date with the latest versions of the commercial editors. There are lots of expert people, here on the forum, who can advise on the best of those.

As for Windows Movie Maker.... I looked at it once some years ago. ... Just the once I'm afraid .. it wasn't for me!
    Last edited by rogs; 12-15-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Try this : http://www.jp137.com/lvs/rainx6.mp4

Brighter rain - slower clouds - 6 minutes long -

(It's about 150MB, so let me know when you've got it - it's a bit big to leave on my server!)
    That thing is PERFECT! I could hug you right now Thank you so very much, you have no idea how thankful I am! The play I need it for is about superheroes and today you are mine Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    You can remove it from your server, I got it

As for the rest, I'll take a look at it, thanks again.

Glad it's OK for what you need... as mentioned earlier in the thread, we have more than enough rain here in the UK, so you're welcome to some of it!

If you need to try anything else with video clips, do take a look at some of the programs I suggested. Video is one of those subjects where free software can give some of the best results possible....although you may just need to spend a little time learning some of the often 'less than friendly' interfaces.....

Glad it's OK for what you need... as mentioned earlier in the thread, we have more than enough rain here in the UK, so you're welcome to some of it!

If you need to try anything else with video clips, do take a look at some of the programs I suggested. Video is one of those subjects where free software can give some of the best results possible....although you may just need to spend a little time learning some of the often 'less than friendly' interfaces.....
    It's more than OK!
    Lately we have more than enough rain here too but making a video of it is a totally different story

Virtualdub worked for me perfectly. Though I had to install some codecs and watch a tutorial on why the file is so big again. Anyway I figured it out pretty fast. There was an easy explanation. Once more, thank you for your help. I would be lost without you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12