Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent help please, adding clouds to the rain

Default Urgent help please, adding clouds to the rain

I need a short clip of rain with clouds in the background. I've searched the internet but couldn't find anything that would be good enough. I've found rain clouds and rain animation though so in an act of desperation I decided to match those two myself. It took me a while to find a program that would be free and able to create what I need and to find out how to make such thing since I know absolutely nothing about editing movies, making and adding effects, none, zero. But I managed to add the rain footage to background with clouds and I was very happy until I tried to render it and saw the end result which was horrible. Maybe the clouds and the rain didn't have a super quality but it was good enough for my needs. After putting the two together I got a really bad quality - pixels all over it and instead of 6 minutes I got only 30 seconds of it. And the thing, 30 seconds, is over 800MB big. That is a huge file of something that is not really usable.
    Can someone help me resolve that mystery? I've tried many things but I had to give up. It's hard to find something when you don't even know what are you looking for. I've used Blackmagic Fusion 7.5 and that's the only program I have installed.
    Or maybe someone has a clip that would be good for what I need? Or can make me one? That would be even better but I'm not counting on much since all I can offer you for that is "thank you".
    I really need to have that thing by next Saturday otherwise it'll be bad. So please, please help.
    Last edited by nessto; 12-22-2014 at 10:42 PM.

If you need a clip of rain with clouds in the background I'm sure any of our UK members can ship you boxes full of home movies that will fit the bill

you are asking for something cheap, fast and good - unless you have been living in your mother's basement for the last 100 years you can guess that all we can tell you is "you need to pick two of those three and re-post your question"

Well, I don't know any members and I need a movie not a box of it. Oh, and I'm not in UK if you were implying that.

As I said, I know that asking people to make it is a lot, no need to be rude about it. Though if I was able to do it, without any knowledge, I'm sure that anyone of you, who can deal with that stuff, can make what I need in no time. Or already has it since it looks to me like a pretty basic thing when you know the rules of your software. Either way my first question was HOW to make better quality with what I have so it's at least as good as what I'm starting with. That would be good enough. It's a short clip for kid's play, not an oscar winning movie, seriously. I would do it myself, really, I prefer doing things myself but I can't, I don't know how, that's why I'm asking. And believe me, I'd rather not. But since I have to, I am and I don't have to pick anything because right advice is free, fast and good. Or may be.

It's not clear to me what resolution your source video clips are. Please tell us exactly what you've got.

In terms of output size, that depends entirely on the following things:

1) What Codec you are exporting to

2) What Bit Rate you chose

3) What size (resolution) of video you were exporting

4) (obviously) How long the video is

So, what codec, what bit rate, what resolution?

Ok ok

here it is - cheap fast and awesome

I have no idea what I am talking about so, forgive me for that.
    As for the source videos the resolutionis 1280x720. With the bit rate 1351kb/s for the clouds and 6127kb/s for the rain.
    And as for the exporting... I didn't choose anything of those things 'cause I simply didn't find it. All I could find was the file extension and fps. So now I can only say what properties the clip has... Resolution is the same, bit rate is 192508kb/s (sky high), and it lasts around 30 seconds (I've tried a few times and the length was different each time) while the source clips are around 6 minutes. I've also tried with picture of clouds as the background for the rain and the result wasn't much better.

Ok ok

here it is - cheap fast and awesome

Oh right, why didn't I think of that earlier... You've been so helpful... And in return, let me give you a little advice - free, cheap and even more awesome... If you can't/don't want to help, just kindly shut up, ok? Everyone will be happier. And the thread will be clean from stupid posts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nessto View Post
    If you can't/don't want to help, just kindly shut up, ok? Everyone will be happier. And the thread will be clean from stupid posts.
    ... except Zam has given you some helpful advice. The message from his video is that we often overthink things. Rather than trying to find what you want, think outside the box about how you might be able to film it. I once asked a fellow film makers where he'd downloaded a great "splash" sound he used in his movie. He looked at me oddly and said, "I simply recorded a dropping things into a bucket of water until I got the sound I wanted".

Now, how about telling us more about what you want the image to show? you've said you want clouds an rain, but what about the skyline - or is this looking up into clouds? Daytime, nightime? Distant (like looking across a field) or near (like in an urban environment?)
    Tim

Thanks man

in fact you can get a good rain sound effect by pouring (dry) rice onto different surfaces (like tin foil) and picking the one you like

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    ... except Zam has given you some helpful advice. The message from his video is that we often overthink things. Rather than trying to find what you want, think outside the box about how you might be able to film it. I once asked a fellow film makers where he'd downloaded a great "splash" sound he used in his movie. He looked at me oddly and said, "I simply recorded a dropping things into a bucket of water until I got the sound I wanted".

Now, how about telling us more about what you want the image to show? you've said you want clouds an rain, but what about the skyline - or is this looking up into clouds? Daytime, nightime? Distant (like looking across a field) or near (like in an urban environment?)
    Well, I said rain, not drops on glass. And he was rude about it. To me it obviously was sarcasm.

As for what I want... It's just clouds, like you're looking up the sky, I can't have ground in it. Dark, stormy clouds and the rain. Like that one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMxcBWVplp8 And what I did is, I combined something like in that link to rain like that one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SciHWJ5wUbc I also did one with just a picture of stormy clouds, which maybe was even better 'cause you normally don't really see clouds moving when you look at a real rain. It's simple and good enough for me. And I would be happy with that but I can't get the quality. Everything I put into the Fusion is good but when it gets out of the program, not so much. And that is my biggest problem. And that made me come here and ask for help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast