Thread: How do I remove or blur writing on footage?

Default How do I remove or blur writing on footage?

I need to reduce the writning as much as possible as it was not ment to be on the camera as it was filmed. Any ideas guys?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

If this was shot in full HD you could crop to a 720p version of just their upper bodies and thereby cut out the area with the time/date.

If you need to preserve the entire picture size then you have a big problem. You can't remove an egg from the cake once it's baked, so you'll have to cover it up with something else. How easy that would be depends on how much movement there is, for instance if the camera was rock steady (tripod) with no movement you may be able to clone the digits over the backgrounds, but the digits over the people would take more work (because they will never be perfectly still).

Sorry, I forgot to answer the part about blurring.....

I'm not a vegas user, but you should be able to add a second copy of the video to the track above, create a blur with a feather and then crop the top image to only cover where the writing is.

Hopefully a Vegas user can jump in here and tell you exactly how to do that Tim? Dave?

Blog Entries

Precisely, David.
    That method will work fine (no real need to embellish, unless porkypara need step by step instructions - in which case please wait until I've finished my current project)

However there's a method in recent versions of Vegas that allows you to do it on one track:

Select the event
    Go into Pan/Crop
    Click on the "mask" checkbox (at the bottom of the window)
    Draw a mask around the writing (you could simply use four points to create a rectangular mask)

Now (and here's the neat bit) towards the top left of the screen, under "Mask" change the value for "Apply to FX from "no" to "Yes". Now any FX you apply to the event will only apply to the masked area.
    Apply Sony Defocus or Gaussian Blur to the clip.

Change the feathering of the mask, if required.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Precisely, David.
    That method will work fine (no real need to embellish, unless porkypara need step by step instructions - in which case please wait until I've finished my current project)

However there's a method in recent versions of Vegas that allows you to do it on one track:

Select the event
    Go into Pan/Crop
    Click on the "mask" checkbox (at the bottom of the window)
    Draw a mask around the writing (you could simply use four points to create a rectangular mask)

Now (and here's the neat bit) towards the top left of the screen, under "Mask" change the value for "Apply to FX from "no" to "Yes". Now any FX you apply to the event will only apply to the masked area.
    Apply Sony Defocus or Gaussian Blur to the clip.

Change the feathering of the mask, if required.

Thanks very much for the guide. Its been a real pain trting to follow on youtube tutorials.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    Its been a real pain trting to follow on youtube tutorials.
    As regards YouTube tutorials, the words "Hit" and "Miss" spring to mind. There's a wealth of great information presented well out there. The time consuming part is sorting the wheat from the chaff
    Tim