Thread: Making 2.35:1 ratio movies using Canon T5i Camera and 18 - 135 lense

Unhappy Making 2.35:1 ratio movies using Canon T5i Camera and 18 - 135 lense

Friends,

I have thought lot many ways to get a movie out from my Canon t5i ( 700d) with 18 - 135mm lense. I want the movie output to be 2.35:1 ratio. But the native set up in this camera only does support 16:9 at the max.

While I was googling I could arrive in following thought points which I request this forum readers suggestion.

1. Buy a Panamorphic filter and use it with the camera..there are two type of filter size 55mm and 70mm somewhere. Which should I buy to suit with 18 - 135mm lense. How much costly it is and where is it available. How reliable.

2. Installing Magic Lantern in the camera as a refreshed firmware. the steps to do this as available in youtube. Will it cause any issues to camera ? Can it be revertable if we dont like once installed.

3. Using a Tape as Top and bottom border on the LCD screen and shoot the video on camera. Later put it in to some softwares like Adobe Premier pro etc and crop the video. How much this will be useful. Is there a free software to do this. Not a trial one complete free and virus free, or lite version which can perform this.

Please help on all these ideas and I trust I can get the best outcome from you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by onlytotoms View Post
    Friends,

I have thought lot many ways to get a movie out from my Canon t5i ( 700d) with 18 - 135mm lense. I want the movie output to be 2.35:1 ratio. But the native set up in this camera only does support 16:9 at the max.

While I was googling I could arrive in following thought points which I request this forum readers suggestion.

1. Buy a Panamorphic filter and use it with the camera..there are two type of filter size 55mm and 70mm somewhere. Which should I buy to suit with 18 - 135mm lense. How much costly it is and where is it available. How reliable.

2. Installing Magic Lantern in the camera as a refreshed firmware. the steps to do this as available in youtube. Will it cause any issues to camera ? Can it be revertable if we dont like once installed.

3. Using a Tape as Top and bottom border on the LCD screen and shoot the video on camera. Later put it in to some softwares like Adobe Premier pro etc and crop the video. How much this will be useful. Is there a free software to do this. Not a trial one complete free and virus free, or lite version which can perform this.

Please help on all these ideas and I trust I can get the best outcome from you guys.
    I've done quite a lot of 2.35:1 output over the last couple of years, some shot on DSLRs, others shot on video cameras. In each case it's useful to know roughly where your frame lines need to be when shooting, but it's not absolutely essential.

I've used the Magic Lantern overlays, which work quite well, but it's obviously much better on cameras that support the overlays directly (XF100, C100 etc).

I would avoid using tape on the LCD where possible, since it's going to block views of other information you may want to see, like shutter / aperture / record time etc, but there are other ways to do this.

You could try taping some coloured threads across at the approximate 2.35:1 positions. This is where a big question usually pops up - where are the appropriate positions? Get some paper and print a 16x9 box on it (as big and bold as you can) with the 2.35:1 frame lines also within that 16x9 box. Set your camera on a tripod and focus on that paper, filing the screen with the 16x9 box (so it reaches the edge top, bottom, left, right). Now you should be able to see the 2.35:1 frame lines that you can use as a guide to attached your threads (tape on each side of the LCD).

Obviously this is still going to give you a 16x9 picture from the camera, but you can crop that in post, in Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, Vegas or many others. The advantage of still getting the 16x9 is that you can re-frame your 2.35:1 vertically in the final piece if you had some marginal framing errors. You can even animate the vertical position if you like.

You can also create a mask with black bars top and bottom to overlay the 16x9 image (exposing only the 2.35:1) to over lay it so you can see what it looks like while still editing a 16x9 source file. I know Final Cut Pro has a filter specifically for this type of thing (I use it a lot) but can't remember is Premiere Pro does. If you're looking for cheap solutions then you could also try Premiere Elements (Windows) or iMovie (Mac).

On export you need to tell the application to crop (not resize) the image. It's trivial to do in programs like Premiere Pro (export through media encoder with a custom top/bottom crop) or Final Cut Pro, and while I haven't used it, I'm sure vegas will be just as easy.

Im no expert in this area, but the explanation seems like it would lose resolution - is there a way to do the same thing with an anamorphic lens or some such (without losing pixels)?

You are correct, if you shoot 16x9 then you lose vertical resolution when you crop to 2.35:1, just like they do in the movies. Lots of Hollywood is shot 16x9 and then cropped.

OTOH, if you have the cash to spare you can buy an anamorphic lens then stretch your resulting non square pixel 16x9 to 2.35:1, just like shooting HDV in the old days and stretching the non square pixels to 16x9.

You can lose vertical or horizontal resolution. your choice.