Thread: Digislider Introduction - First Videvo Kit Video - Feedback Welcome - You can Win!

Default Digislider Introduction - First Videvo Kit Video - Feedback Welcome - You can Win!

Hey guys, we've just produced a short informative video about the 1m Digislider kit. We're giving a couple away this month. It's our first one, and i'd love to get some feedback if any of you have the time?

We've tried to keep it concise and not digress, which was our complaint with most gear videos we've seen recently.

Looking forward to some feedback! Thanks guys
    Last edited by HarryP; 12-10-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi Harry,

I hope this doesn't come across as too negative. It's a good starting point but if this is a review it needs a bit more to push it into the professional arena.

Firstly, and most importantly, all your images were clear and relevant, your script was informative and concise, delivered well and recorded well.

The environment looked wrong. It looked like you are in the process of moving in to a tiny office space. I like the fact it isn't too busy and Il liked the positioning of the videvo logo on the wall, but the black in the lower half of the screen and the Velux windows were a bit of a distraction. If you're going to present on a corner unit desk, it should look like the desk has a purpose there rather than has just been plonked there a something to present on. personally I'd prefer to see a rectangular table/desk which would look so much more like it was designed for purpose. I do appreciate that you no doubt had to work with what you've got - I'm just giving suggestions as to where you might aim if you want to create a truly professional looking presentation.

I liked the cut to the closer shot (eg 2:02) and wonder whether we might have been treated to a few CUs of your face. You talk in a friendly manner, a BCU might make you even more friendly (or perhaps it would scare people off, I don't know). Certainly if you look at stuff like Film Riot, we get in closer to the presenter from time to time.

I appreciate that this is billed as an introduction, but I really wanted more in the way of opinion. This told us what it did, but didn't give us any idea of how well it did it. It was a bit like doing an introduction to a Porche 911 and describing the fact it has four wheels and if you turn this fifth one the two at the front also turn - ie it's a review that could apply to any car/slider. To that extent, the high point of the video was "Don't let the low tech ....work like a dream" and the accompanying shots which showed us how the motor was fitted.

I was also desperate to see how you used it. It's great to see shots showing only what you get, but we need to see it in use, not just the results. We needed to see it with a tripod head mounted, with a camera, on tripod legs, on a table top. Will it work on an angle? Vertically?
    Show it in use and the resulting footage immediately afterwards or PiP.

Having said all that, I would not like you to do any of the things I suggest at the expense of good. clean shots and good, clear sound.
    Tim

The issue for me is that if you were reviewing different kinds of chainsaws in a lumber camp you wouldn't expect perfect cinematography - but if you are reviewing video and film equipment the viewer's expectation of the production itself will naturally be higher

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Hi Harry,

I hope this doesn't come across as too negative. It's a good starting point but if this is a review it needs a bit more to push it into the professional arena.

Firstly, and most importantly, all your images were clear and relevant, your script was informative and concise, delivered well and recorded well.

The environment looked wrong. It looked like you are in the process of moving in to a tiny office space. I like the fact it isn't too busy and Il liked the positioning of the videvo logo on the wall, but the black in the lower half of the screen and the Velux windows were a bit of a distraction. If you're going to present on a corner unit desk, it should look like the desk has a purpose there rather than has just been plonked there a something to present on. personally I'd prefer to see a rectangular table/desk which would look so much more like it was designed for purpose. I do appreciate that you no doubt had to work with what you've got - I'm just giving suggestions as to where you might aim if you want to create a truly professional looking presentation.

I liked the cut to the closer shot (eg 2:02) and wonder whether we might have been treated to a few CUs of your face. You talk in a friendly manner, a BCU might make you even more friendly (or perhaps it would scare people off, I don't know). Certainly if you look at stuff like Film Riot, we get in closer to the presenter from time to time.

I appreciate that this is billed as an introduction, but I really wanted more in the way of opinion. This told us what it did, but didn't give us any idea of how well it did it. It was a bit like doing an introduction to a Porche 911 and describing the fact it has four wheels and if you turn this fifth one the two at the front also turn - ie it's a review that could apply to any car/slider. To that extent, the high point of the video was "Don't let the low tech ....work like a dream" and the accompanying shots which showed us how the motor was fitted.

I was also desperate to see how you used it. It's great to see shots showing only what you get, but we need to see it in use, not just the results. We needed to see it with a tripod head mounted, with a camera, on tripod legs, on a table top. Will it work on an angle? Vertically?
    Show it in use and the resulting footage immediately afterwards or PiP.

Having said all that, I would not like you to do any of the things I suggest at the expense of good. clean shots and good, clear sound.
    Thanks for the feedback! Annoyingly we have behind the scenes footage of us using the sliders!! Unfortunately we had to rush somewhat to get it out and it definitely suffered a bit due to that. We were wary about giving an opinion, as we wanted to keep it neutral - but I agree it would be good to offer at least some direction. There's some great feedback here and we'll definitely take it into account for our next video. Thanks!

Zamiotana, apologies you wern't happy with the level of production. I think we're happy with this as a start, but are definitely looking to improve for future productions.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryP View Post
    Zamiotana, apologies you wern't happy with the level of production. I think we're happy with this as a start, but are definitely looking to improve for future productions.
    i thought it was fine - it's simply that if you are a dentist then there is an expectation that your kids will have the best teeth in town