Thread: Adobe Premiere elements

Default Adobe Premiere elements

I am trying to make a promo video for my company. I have a shooting plan and some rough scripts. What I want to do is to use video in thge background with the speaker shown to one side of the frame, is this possible and if so how is it done?

I have two other queries:

1. Is it possible to alter the soundtrack (music) voulme within a single track, i.e fade the music down for a while whilst a bit of the original sound is played and then bring it back up;

2. What are keyframes and how would I use them, they are referred to in the manual but then not explained anywhere else, is there a decent book that I can buy on premiere.

Thanks.
    Dell Dimension 2400. Pentium 2.8 GHz Processor. 1GB RAM. 75 GB HDD. 160GB Seagate USB2 External HDD. 17\" TFT Monitor. Canon XM2. Panasonic NV GS 120. Adobe Premiere 6.5. Adobe Premiere Elements.

Quote Originally Posted by kenstow
    I am trying to make a promo video for my company. I have a shooting plan and some rough scripts. What I want to do is to use video in thge background with the speaker shown to one side of the frame, is this possible and if so how is it done?
    Yes perfectly possible and very straight forward.

1. Place your background clip on Video 1

2. Place your speaker clip on Video 2

3. Click the clip on video 2 and select Effect Controls from the Window menu (Window > Effect Controls)

4. Expand the Motion effect and change the position to 480 x 288 (Feel free to alter these values to meet your specific needs)

5. Close the Effect Controls Window and preview the effect.

6. Enjoy!

Is it possible to alter the soundtrack (music) voulme within a single track, i.e fade the music down for a while whilst a bit of the original sound is played and then bring it back up;
    There a couple of ways of doings this. Lets look at the slightly more complex (but more accurate) method first. Lets assume for the purpose of illustration that you want to fade the sound up from zero to maximum in the first second of the clip,

1. Select your sound clip by clicking on it

2. Window > Effect Controls

3. Expand the Volume Effect then Expand the Level setting

Now we need to set a couple of keyframes

4. Make sure that the time line marker is at the beginning of the clip. You can do this simply by clicking and dragging the line marker to the left most postion.

5. Click the Toggle Animation button to ON (This actually sets the first keyframe and you should notice this in the timelien portion of the window.

6. In the Level setting click and drag the slider to the leftmost position -oodB (or zero sound).

7. Now lets set another keyframe. Click and drag the timeline marker to 1 second, and then click the Add/Remove Keyframe button. Note the addition of another keyframe in the timeline portion of the window.

8. In the Level setting click and drag the slider to the rightmost position -6.02dB (or maximum sound).

9. Close window, preview and enjoy!

What are keyframes and how would I use them, they are referred to in the manual but then not explained anywhere else, is there a decent book that I can buy on premiere.
    Keyframes are place markers within a clip effect that allow you to alter the value of that effect at any given point in time. You can have as many keyframes as you wish within an effect. You use them as described in the solution provided above for varying the sound in a clip. Bear mind though that keyframes can be used for ANY effect!

Incidently the second method of adjusting sound is,

1. Hold down the CTRL Key and click the yellow band at the beginning of your audio clip. (This sets a keyframe)

2. Hold down the CTRL Key and click the yeallow band about 1 second into your clip (setting a second keyframe)

3. Click and drag the first keyframe to the bottom of the audio clip (zero dB)

This is much simpler, but the first method I described is far more accurate and helped to illustrate your query on keyframes.

Enjoy your editing.
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Oops I missed a bit.

As far as the book is concerned you could try 'Adobe Premiere ELemtns for Dummies' or Adobe Premiere Elements Calssroom in a Book.

I can't really comment on the books as I have read neither. Although the 'For Dummies' series of manuals generally gets good reviews. As the title implies they a aimed at newcomers.

Good luck.

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Thanks very much, very helpful and clear. I thought that the for dummies book may be good, I'll get a copy

Thanks again

Ken
    Dell Dimension 2400. Pentium 2.8 GHz Processor. 1GB RAM. 75 GB HDD. 160GB Seagate USB2 External HDD. 17\" TFT Monitor. Canon XM2. Panasonic NV GS 120. Adobe Premiere 6.5. Adobe Premiere Elements.