Thread: Eliminating Phone Pulse Noise

Default Eliminating Phone Pulse Noise

Hi everyone, newbie here so please be gentle

I am quite aux fait with music editing in general, key transposition normalising etc etc but whilst I appreciate this is a video forum essentially I did spot some audio editing questions so I hope it's OK to poke this one in here !

I have an MP3 file which has been recorded by phone and another source. Now, you know sometimes when you have the radio on in the car and your mobile is nearby and it makes that pulsing sound? Well, this is what's on the recording - just every now and then. Sometimes it's on it's own and not at the same time as other sound (someone speaking etc) - which is fine, I can just cut that bit out - but how can I eliminate that noise if it's over / at the same time as someone speaking?
    I really have no idea if there is a program out there that can separate the individual sounds etc, but wondered if anyone would have a clue as to what I could try?

Many thanks for any help.

You need software like Adobe Audition that has different ways of looking at the sound.

In addition to the regular waveform mode it can also display frequencies. Within the frequency view you can lasso the frequencies you want to remove and simply delete them. it sounds complicated but once you have the hang of it it's quite easy. I've removed sirens from passing emergency vehicles during wedding vows this way.

Audition is not the only software that can so this, there are others, but it's the only one I've used.

Hope that helps.

You might try using the noise reduction function in an audio editor like Audacity (freeware -- see here : )

It's not an easy thing to do .. some folk liken it to trying to remove just the egg from a baked cake ... so don't expect miracles!

There a tutorial here:

Hey guys

Thanks so much for your quick replies. I have both programs actually so will give Audition a go first and see what I can do with that and if not I'll try Audacity - yup, I was under no illusions that it wouldn't be a simple process but it's an important sound file and I'm doing it for someone else so want to do it the best that I can.

I'll post back either later today or tomorrow and let you know how I got on