Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Sony Vegas ?

1. Default Which Sony Vegas ?

I'm asking for a little help & am more confused now than I was before I started researching .
    I was running Pinnacle studio 15 , it crashed & won't re install correctly . So i've decided to lick my wounds & pick up Sony Vegas .
    My questions are :
    Which version will be the closest ( feature wise ) to Studio 15 ?
    I see a great range in prices ( for even the same version ) from around $60 usd all the way up to 3& 4 hundred dollars ????

Here's the specs of my computer & I thank anyone in advance who can shed some light on this increasingly confusing matter .

Blog Entries

You want Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum or Suite.

The reason? They both contain DVD Architect Studio (unlike Pinnacle Studio, you use this separate program for making DVDs/BluRays), white balance and primary andsecondary colour correction tools as well as AC3 audio encoding (Dolby sound for your DVDs).

Suite includes Sound Forge Studio a useful audio file editor (you won;t have had an equivalent in Pinnacle) plus loads of additional effects from third party sources as well as 50 Production Music tracks ('cos you don't want to be infringing copyright, right?)

Vegas Pro is great, but start off with Studio (it does 95% of what most of us need to do anyway) - you can upgrade later if you like the product and want some of the advanced tools (and it used to be cheaper to buy studio & upgrade than buy Pro outright - not sure if this is still the case)

One difference you will find, compared with Pinnacle, is that it doesn't have so much in the way of automatic ways of doing things. You'll be forced to understand a bit more of what's going on (which is no bad thing). I strongly recommend you work through the interactive tutorials (under Help) - they are all very short and will give you a solid grounding and save you lots of time compared with clicking and guessing.
    Tim

Tim's advice is of course spot on, including the mention of a bit of a learning curve.
    You'll be able to download free time-limited trial versions from SCS
    Movie Studio 13 Platinum
    Movie Studio 13 Suite
    The version comparison table

Re upgrading, yes, you'll still be able to upgrade from Movie Studios to Vegas Pro at special upgrade prices. Another thing you might consider now that MS 12 Platinum/Suite is going for peanuts on amazon.com is getting v 12 first and make use of one of the regular SCS offers to upgrade to v 13 Plat/Suite. You'll probably get both 12 and 13 for the same $$ than buying MSP/MSS 13 outright. Although v 13 has distinct advantages over v 12, the older version has some features that v 13 altered somewhat and a more conventional GUI which some of us prefer. I myself have them both installed and still sometimes like to use v 12 in some types of projects.
    A very good review of MSPlat 13 is here. That site also includes an overview of MSS 13.

How do I create a thread ???? This site is a little confusing . But anyway I have a question. I found this video loop template I would like to use for my video. The problem is that by default, the template does not allow me to place multiple pictures inside of said template. How do I go about editing the default template I've downloaded, so I could instill the pictures as apart of the intro. I kind of want each picture to have some sort of slideshow presentation (not really). But the effects of the intro would make it so that it will show a picture, and then slowly transition into the next picture (all in 3d motion) I'm kind of bad at both video editing, and describing things so pardon me if this sounds a little confusing. Could someone help me with this problem ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HelpMePlease123 View Post
    How do I create a thread ???? This site is a little confusing .
    Erm ... you go to the section in which you want to post your thread (eg the "section" here is "Buying advice and filming on the cheap..." and towards the top left of the page there's a big teal button with the text "Post new thread".
    As for you question, I suggest you look carefully for a relevant section and post it there and, most importantly, tell us what software you are using as the answer may well differ.
    Tim

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    You want Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum or Suite.

The reason? They both contain DVD Architect Studio (unlike Pinnacle Studio, you use this separate program for making DVDs/BluRays), white balance and primary andsecondary colour correction tools as well as AC3 audio encoding (Dolby sound for your DVDs).

Suite includes Sound Forge Studio a useful audio file editor (you won;t have had an equivalent in Pinnacle) plus loads of additional effects from third party sources as well as 50 Production Music tracks ('cos you don't want to be infringing copyright, right?)

Vegas Pro is great, but start off with Studio (it does 95% of what most of us need to do anyway) - you can upgrade later if you like the product and want some of the advanced tools (and it used to be cheaper to buy studio & upgrade than buy Pro outright - not sure if this is still the case)

One difference you will find, compared with Pinnacle, is that it doesn't have so much in the way of automatic ways of doing things. You'll be forced to understand a bit more of what's going on (which is no bad thing). I strongly recommend you work through the interactive tutorials (under Help) - they are all very short and will give you a solid grounding and save you lots of time compared with clicking and guessing.
    I kind of like the fact you say Sony will kind of "force" me to put things together as I'm still a novice at this .
    You spoke of "Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum or Suite" in your first line but I see you made no mention on the features of "platinum".
    Then you mention "pro" .
    Is "suite" fairly easy to learn taking in the available tutorials ?

And , do I have enough computer to run suite ???

Thank you , my friend for the words of wisdom & the reply .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Digger 66 View Post
    You spoke of "[COLOR=#494c4c]Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum or Suite" in your first line but I see you made no mention on the features of "platinum".
    I meant to imply it. The key feature of Platinum over basic Studio is the addition of DVD Architect, white balance, colour correctors, AC3 (and, I neglected to mention, AC3)
    It's all crystal clear if you look at the product comparison vkmast linked to.
    Studio basic is the "basic"
    Platinum has everything Studio has, plus some (see above)
    Suite has everything Platinum has, plus yet more stuff.

In terms of learning the editing software itself, there is no difference between the three. There's just additional stuff to learn in Suite, if you want to.

Suppose you wre looking for a car.
    You could buy a basic car (Studio)
    Or you can buy a car with a cruise control and a six speed gearbox (Platinum)
    Or you can but a car with a cruise control, six speed gearbox, a CD auto changer, a Sat Nav and a trailer (Suite)

Learning to drive all three is identical.
    With the second car you just get more options.
    With the third you've got some add-ons, which come with their own instructions.

You computer will be fine. the number of add-ons don't affect this. More to the point is how compressed your source video is and many streams of video you want to run simultaneously and how many effects you want to put on at once.
    I'd go for at least one more hard disk though. Keep the OS/programs and media on different disks.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger 66 View Post
    Then you mention "pro" .
    Don't even think about it until you've run Studio/Platinum/Suite for a while. If you don't like that it's cost you far less than if you don't like Pro!
    Tim

Thanks. Though the sarcasm was a bit "unnecessary". Peace

9. Default

Just ordered "Suite"
    Any recommendations as far as tutorials for learning this software ?

The Sony Creative Software site has the Product training section. Under Video there select Movie Studio. You'll see there (among other things) a 42:37 min (not 1:53 as it says) video called An Introduction to Movie Studio 13 Platinum. See also an article there on Two Modes.
    The software itself has a lot of basic "Show Me How" interactive guides as well.
    A very good independent tutorial site recommended by SCS themselves is Movie Studio Zen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast