Thread: live preview of green screen chroma key effects

Question live preview of green screen chroma key effects

Hi all,

I searched around, but couldn't find anything. I was hoping someone could help me with my setup. I'm not a complete novice, but at the moment I only have a computer, camera (hdmi-out only) and a green screen. Nothing else yet.

I am looking to create something the weather presenter used to have. (no longer, since they now just use giant screens). A green screen setup, where the presenter has a monitor on the side, that displays a live preview of the feed with the chroma key effects added-in showing some images on which she has to point out certain things.

I think I need a capture card, to get the signal into the computer.
    And specific software to record and apply the chroma key effects LIVE on the monitor. while recording...

I really hope someone can help me out! That would help a bunch!

I know, I am a few years late
    However, a few days ago I was asking myself the same question: How do I get live chroma preview (no idea if this is what the pros call it).
    I since found a solution for anyone who happens to stumble on this thread.
    I used the Blackmagic Web Presenter (https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...icwebpresenter) to get my camera signal via HDMI into my PC and the Open Broadcaster Software (OBS: https://obsproject.com/de) to key out the chroma from the live feed.
    OBS is a free programm, there is other software like Wirecaster or VidBlast. There might also be other software the pros use, but for a no budget production (I got the web presenter from a friend) this setup works. One thing to keep in mind when using other software, ist that the Web Presenter is not a capture card. It takes the input from your camera and connects via USB to the PC, so the PC recognizes the presenter as a webcam.
    Hope I could help anyone. Happy chroma keying

Quote Originally Posted by Ali9311 View Post
    I know, I am a few years late
    However, a few days ago I was asking myself the same question: How do I get live chroma preview (no idea if this is what the pros call it).
    I since found a solution for anyone who happens to stumble on this thread.
    I used the Blackmagic Web Presenter (https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...icwebpresenter) to get my camera signal via HDMI into my PC and the Open Broadcaster Software (OBS: https://obsproject.com/de) to key out the chroma from the live feed.
    OBS is a free programm, there is other software like Wirecaster or VidBlast. There might also be other software the pros use, but for a no budget production (I got the web presenter from a friend) this setup works. One thing to keep in mind when using other software, ist that the Web Presenter is not a capture card. It takes the input from your camera and connects via USB to the PC, so the PC recognizes the presenter as a webcam.
    Hope I could help anyone. Happy chroma keying

Since we're on the subject I'd like to add that. OBS is definitely one of the best software programs for any kind of streaming and even recording (it even does screen casts).
    If you have a camera that can connect to your PC through USB (my old Nikon D7100 can do this for example), you don't always need a HDMI capture device, OBS can sometimes use the USB link to use the DSLR as a webcam. Since a lot of camera's can connect to PC through USB I'd try that first for anyone who happens to have a camera. There's also a number of motherboards, GPUs and laptops that come with an HDMI-in port which also eliminates the need for a capture device.
    In all other cases there's indeed loads of capture devices that can get your camera signal and convert it to something over USB.
    The cats are watching us...