Thread: Video editing software for dashcam footage

Default Video editing software for dashcam footage

Hi guys,

I recently bought a dashcam and want to put some footage on YouTube, so could anyone recommend a video editing program for Windows (free or otherwise) that's not overly complicated?

I tried Movie Maker 2012 but I need to be able to blank number plates and also the time/date in the corner of the screen. I tried using captions in Movie Maker to do this but it's very fiddly, and it can't cover the time/date which is in the bottom left, touching the edges of the screen.

Apart from that I don't need to do anything complicated, I just want something that's easy to use and won't ruin the video quality too much when the video is uploaded to YouTube (I know YouTube tends to lose some quality compared to the raw video). The footage from the dashcam is 1080p H264 if that makes a difference.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Most entry level stuff will let you do this. However if the number plates are on moving vehicles this will either be very laborious (as you will need to "track" the number plate from frame to frame - ie "move" the bit that blanks/blurs the number) or uyou'll need to step up to more professional software that includes automatic tracking.