Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to film in front of a mirror without showing myself ?

Question How to film in front of a mirror without showing myself ?

Hi,

i just wondered if anyone could help me. i want to film my vanity which has a big mirror but i don't want myself and camera to be in the shot instead i just want my bd which is right opposite to be in the shot, i have tried many times without success, is there any way i can do this? i am using i movie and photoshop cs6 to edit (well, learning)

Thank you in advance

If your mirror is rectangular or square you can use a matte to replace the mirrored image with a shot of your bed or whatever you want

Question

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    If your mirror is rectangular or square you can use a matte to replace the mirrored image with a shot of your bed or whatever you want
    Thanks for the reply, am sorry to be a pain but i am learning so have no clue on how to use a matte to replace the mirrored image. is it possible to give me step by step instructions on how i can do that in photoshop? or if there is a video tutorial i can follow along? oh and my mirror is rectangular

Thanks

1. What Video editing softwar are you using?
    2. Does the camera move in the shot? Or is it static (i.e. does not move)?

Not photoshop

your video editing software should have a variety of mattes, which allow you to superimpose two clips on the timeline and have a cutout in the upper clip letting what's in the lower clip show through - you could do a cutaway of your mirror and it will show whatever is in the clip beneath it on your timeline

if you aren't familiar with mattes you should look at some explanations on YouTube or your software vendor may have video tutorials you can watch - mattes are very basic so you need to learn about them anyway - might as well be now

the camera will be in motion whilst filming, i use iMovie to edit videos but i have photoshop too which i am learning to use

i did use photoshop for video editing before i started using iMovie as i find it easier to use, i just wondered if it would be possible to do what i want in a basic software as iMovie. thanks for your help i will look at how to use mattes on youtube

Hum - What about having thé camera mode across the top of the mirror so it will see the bed but you won't see the camera in the mirror

huh thats a good idea, but won't i need special equipment for that? still looking at the mattes but exploring every possibility as well

How about just shooting it from a bit of an angle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast