Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding menu kills production of DVD image (Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14)

Unhappy Adding menu kills production of DVD image (Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14)

Using Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate HD on Windows 7 (*GB RAM), I have no problem creating a successful 111-minute HD disk image (for later burning to dvd) - if there is no DVD menu.

But if I add a menu and then do a 'Create DVD image', Create immediately
    (i.e. before asking for a directory name) comes up with "A video segmnt is
    too short" refusal to proceed.

(If I then remove the menu, Create works fine.)

Have tried different menus, am not using 'Return to Menu', and use all
    boxes provided in the menu (all of which are apparently possible causes of
    the above failure).

Can anyone here throw any light on this impasse, please?

N.B. I have successfully used menu's previously, before moving to HD
    video.

It sounds like you are hitting the same buggy problem that eventually made me leave Pinnacle and go on to eventually use Sony Vegas. It sound like you've already done some research about this on the Pinnacle forum to find a work around.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

Thank you for your commiseration! Will try some more, otherwise will have to make do without any menu.
    Last time I looked Sony Vegas Video Studio was out of the 'annual family video' price range, unless a ''basic' version is available.

(Retired in Surrey, UK)

P.S. Jut looked at reviews of Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 (30 from Amazon) - is this the one you use?

One review said:

"Bought to replace my Pinnacle Studio 14 software which stopped putting
    the menu on the disc
    . I have only had this package a short time but
    found it easy to install and it appears to work well. Not as intuitive
    as the pinnacle software but after burning test samples, it appears to
    provide good results,"

Sadly, another said:

"I used Sony Vegas 11 to convert my videos to the recommended inbuilt "DVD Architect Studio" mpeg2 format, create transitions etc.
    Then I created all my menus, titles and submenus in "DVD Architect Studio 5" format.
    Finally "make DVD" to burn and get "The file is an unsupported format"!
    So I tried various other formats including AVI, other forms of MPEG2 etc
    After searching various forums I found the answer was to export separate audio and video streams for each clip, which DVD Architect Studio then accepts. This takes twice as long for no practical benefit."

- though further on I saw comments to suggest there were updates that could be obtained to solve that.

Just wondering what to make of all that. I'm willing to fork out for that product if it provides the solution to me problem.
    Were you referring to a diffreent Sony Vegas package?

Blog Entries

vkmast, Midnight Blue, and I all us Sony Vegas Pro which is the same basic programme as Movie Studio. I started with what was the called Vegas Movie Studio, version 6 after giving up on Pinnacle along with many, many other converts. Back then Pinnacle was dreadfully unstable, and Vegas was the most stable NLE on a PC platform.

Things change though and the last few iterations of Vegas/Movie Studio (versions 10 through 12) have had a variety of problems with some users under certain circumstances (you'll appreciate that the number of possible combinations of motherboards, CPUs, GPUs and then different drivers for each, Windows patches etc. isn't infinity, but it might as well be for all practical purposes). So you will read about people having probles (as you will with all software). I never experienced more than the occasional problems and normally I could find a workaround. However, consensus on the Sony forum is that version 13 is wonderfully stable - possibly as stable as version 9 which is what all self respecting ultra-conservative users stuck with until now.

Of the few regular posters here many are Vegas users so you won't be short of support if you prefer a small group to, say, the Sony Creative Software forum or Creative Cow. The one caveat I will add is that we are all (mostly?) Pro users and whilst, fundamentally the same, the user interface has been modified quite a bit in the latest Movie Studio release and no longer reflects like for like the Pro interface.

You mention you're in Surrey and retired. Ever thought about joining a local club (which are all basically full of retired people)? Surrey Borders Video Makers in the Farnham area meet monthly and have a good reputation - they're a bit Edius biased but editng is only one part of film making. I'm chairman of Staines Video Makers (meet in Laleham). We meet weekly. We have several Vegas users (in fact we had none before I joined so I ought to take a commission) and one or two Pinnacle users (as well as the usual few FCPX and Adobe users and one Cassablanca user). I'm also regularly in touch with members from Epsom Movie Makers. I've no idea about Copthorne Camcorder Club.

Someone is probably somewhere near you. Most, like us, welcome visitors who want to come and take a look at what we're about, for free, with no obligation.
    Tim

In addition to Tim S's excellent write-up on (Sony) Vegas Pro and Movie Studio Platinum, I might mention that e.g. Amazon still seems to have excellent offers on Movie Studio Platinum 12 Suite. The Platinum and Suite versions include the DVD Architect Studio 5 DVD/BD authoring and burning software along with other extras. The "new" older versions provide a nice path to upgrade later to newer versions at special offer prices if you so wish. You can still download a trial from here
    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ls/vegasfamily
    Look for "Movie Studio Platinum Suite updated on Nov, 19, 2013".

There are many excellent tutorials like the one below (which relates to the original topic)
    https://www.moviestudiozen.com/free-...tudio-platinum

The MSPSuite 11 & 13 bundle is even greater value at the quoted price with its upgrade license keycard to download the full suite of Movie Studio 13. MSP(S) 11 is only 32-bit though, whereas vs. 12 and 13 are both 32-bit and 64-bit applications and may exist on the same OS at the same time. 64-bit Support means that MSP 12 and 13 can use all the available spare RAM on your computer not used by other resources. As Tim said the interface was modified for v 13 though and many users still prefer the old GUI.
    https://www.moviestudiozen.com/free-...tudio-suite-13

Beware of the "basic" (Sony) Movie Studio.

> http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ls/vegasfamily
    > Look for "Movie Studio Platinum Suite updated on Nov, 19, 2013".

Didn't see that mentioned, but Release Notes showed versions with these dates:

8/2013, 1/2014, 4/2014, but not 11/2013!

Any reason not to do a trial download of the latest (4/2014)? Advice welcome!

No reason not to download the 13 trial.
    For me, if I click the link, MSP 12 Suite is the third item from the top (build 1184 etc).

Most of the versions and builds are here
    http://download.sonymediasoftware.com/current/
    Last edited by vkmast; 11-20-2014 at 08:22 PM.

> if I click the link, MSP 12 Suite is the third item from the top (build 1184 etc).

Ah, yes - Ok, I'v'e downloaded that one. (Release Notes say "August 2013").
    Many thanks for all the info - much appreciated!
    I have a feeling I shall be happier with this editor (as long as it will be able to add a menu to the output DVD!).

> But if I add a menu and then do a 'Create DVD image', Create immediately
    > (i.e. before asking for a directory name) comes up with "A video segmnt is
    > too short" refusal to proceed.
    > (If I then remove the menu, Create works fine.)

SOLVED!

Just as I was about to junk Pinnacle Studio, I did a final search through some Pinnacle Public Forum postings on the subject of "A video segment is too short", and found a reply that described new likely causes:

1) An under-half-second gap in the timeline between a menu and a chapter marker,
    or between the menu and the beginning of the timeline.

2) Chapters that are under a half second apart.

3) A chapter marker following a return-to-menu marker by less than a half-second

4) A return-to-menu marker that's less than a half-second before the end of the
    timeline.

Menus and chapter markers should either be separated by more than a half-second,
    OR right up against each other with no gap."

Mine was due to item (1). Although the menu segment appeared to be at the beginning of the timeline, there was - in front of it - a tiny video segment that was so small as to be invisible - until I stretched the timeline and was able to see it and delete it.
    After that, the 6-box menu sailed through rendering and performed perfectly after burning to DVD and played baxck via DVD player.

(The only shortcoming was that any attempt to insert Return To Menu markers in front of Chapter markers (except at the end of the timeline) caused the resultant DVD to fail even to open when played back. I've never had any successl with them since starting with Pinnacle Studio years ago.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast