Thread: Which video editing software can do this?

Question Which video editing software can do this?

Hello All,
    I'm looking to pick up a video software package for editing some music videos. Was hoping to get some insight on which video software package(s) has the option to have multiple clips going at one time. Check out this youtube link for an example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-L6kph1xE.

I'm looking to have a 'main,' bigger sized clip going with one to two other smaller sized clips fading in and out on certain parts of the main clip. Hopefully, this is a common item in the mid to upper echelon software suites out there. Currently, I'm using Movie Maker, but I can't find this option in its menus. From what I've seen, I'm pretty sure MM is a lower end software option, hence this post.

Please don't hesitate to include pros/cons on the software you might suggest.

Cheers and thanks for any advice!
    -CM1

Blog Entries

As you suspect, it is a common feature. "Picture in Picture" is what it is commonly called although this specifically refers to one clip inside another, but the same principle is used for "Brady Bunch" type multiple pictures.
    Sony Movie Studio and Adobe Premiere Elements are the two big boys in the consumer video market and both can do this. Expect to learn about resizing images and placing them within the overall image rather than getting an effect out of the box. This is not difficult and is ultimately more satisfying and flexible than an out of the box solution. Having said that, there are plug-ins available for Sony Movie Studio (and I suspect Premiere Elements) if you want an out of the box solution.
    There are numerous HowTo videos online for this sort of thing with these software pacjages.

There are many other consumer level packages, but Sony and Adobe have most of the PC market between them and hence there is more peer support available.
    Tim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    There are many other consumer level packages, but Sony and Adobe have most of the PC market between them and hence there is more peer support available.
    To add to Tim's answer, I would also suggest learning how to do it yourself as it'll further your video production skills. If you are on a budget, I recommend Movie Edit Pro which is quite a capible yet resonable video editor. If you are looking at utilizing other software like effects or image manipulation, then maybe adobe is a better way to go.