Thread: My first wedding highlight edit .. constructive feedback is GREATLY appreciated!

Lightbulb My first wedding highlight edit .. constructive feedback is GREATLY appreciated!

Hi editors,

I am an amateur with no formal training who is still learning. I love the creative process in video editing.

I created a short highlight edit here. Constructive feedback is appreciated. What can I work on? What needs improvement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmXZR0NJMII

Firstly, I take it you didn't film this, just edited? There were some very exciting and colourful shots in there that finished up a bit of a mish mash with no guiding light to link them together.
    Personally, I would have used the 'first dance' track as backing (though it's possible you already have, but a live version would have worked so much better) with a few well chosen words from ceremony/speeches used by the groom/brides father to link the day's events and pace the edit accordingly.
    There's plenty of examples on you tube of how the best highlights gel and you really couldn't do any better than watching Di Rienzo films (a member on here) as the yardstick for excellence in wedding edits.
    He would have turned shots like this into an adrenalin filled experience intead of some nice shots with music overlaid.
    Keep trying and looking at the best in the business for inspiration, but don't just be a clone of them, add your own touch!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Firstly, I take it you didn't film this, just edited? There were some very exciting and colourful shots in there that finished up a bit of a mish mash with no guiding light to link them together.
    Personally, I would have used the 'first dance' track as backing (though it's possible you already have, but a live version would have worked so much better) with a few well chosen words from ceremony/speeches used by the groom/brides father to link the day's events and pace the edit accordingly.
    There's plenty of examples on you tube of how the best highlights gel and you really couldn't do any better than watching Di Rienzo films (a member on here) as the yardstick for excellence in wedding edits.
    He would have turned shots like this into an adrenalin filled experience intead of some nice shots with music overlaid.
    Keep trying and looking at the best in the business for inspiration, but don't just be a clone of them, add your own touch!
    Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I just edited. There were some great speeches by the groom/bride that I will incorporate as I redo this one, thanks for that suggestion.

When you say "use the first dance track as backing..but a live version would have worked so much better" can you please clarify? I'm having difficulty visualizing this.

I've tried to Google "Di Rienzo Films" but can't find a YouTube link or channel. Would you kindly be able to point me in the right direction?

EDIT 12/11/14 - Di Rienzo link found
    Last edited by Bosejep; 11-12-2014 at 10:07 AM.

Re the speeches, try to find something related to both sides that encompass the ceremony vows, or their love for each other and dip the music track volume at suitable points. If you have the soundtrack for the first dance along with crowd excitement this 'may' work better than the track from CD. Suck it and see! Use Jon's (Di Rienzo) as a guide to see what can be achieved with a master's touch.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club