Thread: And Albert Foundation

Default And Albert Foundation

If just finished an edit for a charity I do some work for called And Albert Foundation. I didn't do the filming I was asked to make a 10 mins edit to show a brief outline of what the charity is all about that they can use at lectures, exhibitions etc.

Blog Entries

I don't know how much of this is down to you and how much is down to your brief, but at 2:45 mins I was sold. There was a target of 100,000 for specific requirements and I was ready to make a small contribution. Then it went on - a lot of it fairly repetitive and my attention went with it (although a sudden perceived volume change at 3:20 woke me up) and by the end the figure had become 15 million. I don't know about others, but I'm psychologically less inclined to donate when the target is bigger than when it is smaller.

I didn't think there was enough material to make 10 mins. There seemed to be a lot of repetition (he was just saying the same thing in different ways) and, unlike the first three minutes) theer was no explanation as to why they needed 15M and how that 15M was going to be used. I have little doubt it's a worthwhile investment but I need to be told how the money can help.

I suspect you struggled with this to make it flow as it did and a 5 min (or less) brief might have been easier (and I think would have much more punch).

I didn't like the lengthy captions .. I'd have preferred to see them spread over more pages with only two lines (possibly three short lines) per page.

Better still would have been a voiceover speaking the text that they wrote and just key bullet points on the screen.

That all sounds rather more negative than I feel about the video. I don't think your edit is bad, but I think the message about what the charity does and how it does it could come across more strongly (as it does in the first three minutes)
    Tim

Good point Tim, I can't disagree with your points. One of the problems I had was I had a 40 min DVD that I had to reduce to 10 mins. If the message just seems repeated then I've lost it in the edit a bit. It should show three main projects. First the boats, then and agriculture project involving irrigation from the river. There is also the computer educational program called RACHEL. This is then wrapped up in the reversing of the "curse" brought about by the slave trade which is still very real to a lot of the people in the area and turning it into an "ethical trade" route.

I agree with you on the long titles that's down to me not wanting to do the VO or any budget to one. I'll have to re-examine the volume levels, I just missed that bit.

Thanks Tim. See info on the website for donations.

Blog Entries

Great job Dave.

Isn't this actually three videos? Could you make that distinction clearer, perhaps with a more prolonged fade to black? I felt that perhaps the music would have added more if used less. At around 2 mins I'd become distracted by the music, and then at th end of the first section, the music faded and I wanted the volume to go up! ��

Personally I thought the edit was great

the charity is clearly worthwhile

the problem isn't the edit or the charity

IMHO the problem is the guy

this is a nice guy with good intentions, just the wrong guy for the pitch

put somebody else in front of the camera; Karen Gillan comes to mind; and get money flowing for the charity

minor point:
    alternatives for constant use of "hence" (in order from street to posh)
    so
    as such
    therefore
    ipso facto
    Last edited by zamiotana; 11-15-2014 at 02:54 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    If the message just seems repeated then I've lost it in the edit a bit. It should show three main projects.
    That didn't really come across to me, probably because my attention drifted. Marc clearly picked up on it (or maybe he watched after reading your comment) and he has suggested longer pauses between the sections. I'd go one further and put a title/caption between each. Again it might just be me, but (at least on the internet) I'm more likely to watch 3 x 3.5min films, or clearly defined chapters all the way through, than one 10 minute film.
    As for voiceover, if you don't want to do it, surely there are good souls out there who might be both happy and competent to do it as it's for a good cause (quite possibly pro v/o artists)
    Tim

You're right Marc. It is actually 3 seperate videos that have been combined into one DVD. Then I was given the DVD to cut down into a 10 min "short version" that gives the message but in just 10 mins.

Because the music was already mixed I couldn't do anything about it. I could have tried sourceing the original files but this seemed like a lot of effort when not being paid. :P

I could see if David Belemy will do the VO he's a patren of the charity.

Zam your suggestion while being easier on the might lack that personal touch. Talking of which, I'm going to a film premier on Thursday. It's a film called "David". It's about the life story of the guy in my video. He's had a very "interesting" life. I hope the film makers have done it justice.

Thank you all for your time and attention. <3