Thread: Parkour Freerunning Showreel with Air + Landshots

Wink Parkour Freerunning Showreel with Air + Landshots

Hello,
    here I'm presenting my first self-made Sportvideo with the GoPro Hero 3 Black.
    Hope your enyoing it!

Greetz

Splatty

I didn't like that it was only filmed with a fish-eye lens and the gym section was a bit too long for my taste (as least change the camera angle) but apart from that this came out really nice for my taste.

3. Default

Stunning! I loved it. As an amateur filmmaker I'm very envious of your talent and that of the free runners.

Blog Entries

Sorry if this sounds harsh - especially as this was a first time post, but I hope I've included enough to inspire you to better things rather than just knocked what you've done here.

I thought it was going to end at 3:09 and wish it had. After that we got more of the same and in a less interesting environment.
    My problem with this video is that it kept drawing attention away from the subject and to the video. Adding some shots in slo-mo is essential as it can really help show off the skills demonstrated by the subjects. What you didn't include were the closeups - the feet and hands making contact with walls etc. the face, the concentraton on the eyes and the mouth, the sense of achievement when a trick comes off - perhaps the sense of frustration when it doesn't. Where was the human aspect?

Instead we go a lot of wide shots which are essential to show off the skills but that's all we got. Clever stuff but repetitive.

You attempted to add variety with clever editing, but unfortunately, for me anyway, all it did was draw attention to the editing. You appear to be very competent with the technical aspects of editing; now you need to learn to edit to enhance the content rather than detract from it. The best edit is one that isn't noticed as one is so engrossed in the story, message or emotion that the filmmaker is trying to convey.
    Tim

it worked for me

the part in the gym wasn't needed except it tells us that you guys practice a bit on soft mattresses first - good idea

The music was good

i liked some of the digital distortion effects - where find you get those?

a few out takes would be good next time

Thanks for your answers
    In my next video I will definitly use more close ups, for getting more feeling of the feets touching the ground or grabbing some edges with my hands. Many people critizised that fact.
    @zamiotana: Which effect do you mean?
    I sure had a lot of out takes but I thought that would break the harmony of the video.
    Maybe I bette upload a single video just with out takes
    Splatty

Quote Originally Posted by Splatty View Post
    Thanks for your answers
    In my next video I will definitly use more close ups, for getting more feeling of the feets touching the ground or grabbing some edges with my hands. Many people critizised that fact.
    @zamiotana: Which effect do you mean?
    I sure had a lot of out takes but I thought that would break the harmony of the video.
    Maybe I bette upload a single video just with out takes
    Splatty
    the effect I meant was where the frame seems to expand and contract with the beat of the music

as far as an out-take, I was thinking of the shot where Helmut accidentally slips and lands nads-first on the metal hand rail, just when Klaus inadvertently lands on top of Helmut - that's when you zoom in and catch the money-shot of Helmut's facial expression just before he passes out - if there is some off-screen banter, you can sub-title it "what was that popping sound?"