Thread: New Alienware Area-51 Gaming Desktop for Video Editing?

Default New Alienware Area-51 Gaming Desktop for Video Editing?

Please note all money referred to in this thread is in AUD (Australian Dollars)

My current computer bought 4.5 years ago is starting to be a hindrance in my daily work and play routine on my computer. On a daily basis I do 2 things on my computer, Video editing (full on with multilayered video, greenscreens and the works on one of my 6 YouTube channels) and Gaming (I used to do coding in the past too but YouTube is where the money is at). Over the past 2 years I've made just over $10,000 across my youtube channels but video rendering is taking forever now and gaming... Forget about it!

The main reason I want to get a new computer is so that I can edit and render videos faster (Cut down from 4 hour render times for 30 minute videos) as well as run the Oculus Rift DK2 and games a bit better.

My current specs are as follows on my 4.5 year old computer:
    Processor: Intel Xeon W3680 Processor (6 Core, 3.33GHz 1333MHz 12MB) - 130W
    Memory: 12GB (6x2GB)1333-UDIMM.
    Hard Drive: All HDD's 500GB, 1TB, 2TB
    Graphics Card: nVidia FX3800(1GB)

I'm looking into buying an Alienware Area 51 Desktop with the following Specs for $7,768 ($8,000 is my limit for a computer):
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-5960X Processor (8-cores, 20MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.0 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
    Memory: 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory
    Hard Drive: 512GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 4TB 6kRPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage (I will also put a 3TB and 2TB that I already own into this)
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ Titan Z with 12GB GDDR5 – Dual GPU Card

You can have up to 3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ Titan Z's in the computer but that single one alone is amazing to me and 2-3 I've heard isn't optimized for a lot of the software of today anyway including the rift so I'm saving money there on something I obviously won't need.

Overall would such a good graphics card be good for video editing or is it all down to the processor? Also is the new computer going to be better overall than the old computer for render times using sony vegas pro 12 for editing?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 12padams View Post
    Overall would such a good graphics card be good for video editing or is it all down to the processor? Also is the new computer going to be better overall than the old computer for render times using sony vegas pro 12 for editing?
    It all depends on what you're rendering. SCS really need to get their act together when it comes to support for GPUs - read the SCS forum and you'll be as confused as the rest of us. Some find an improvement without any problem. Some find an improvement in some situations but with crashes. Some find no improvement. The only thing I could guarantee for you is that by using CPU only, you are unlikely to crash. And I'm a big Vegas fan.

The machine you are putting together sounds like a beast. You might consider a smaller SSD for the OS and programs and a second larger one for your current project media. 512GB is massive to OS and applications only.
    Tim