Thread: Face warping and distortion & image shake and blur

Default Face warping and distortion & image shake and blur

Hey folks, I was wondering if it was possible with Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 to warp and distort peoples faces, like hav them swirl and parts of their heads expand and stuff for a few frames.

I also need to know if you can get the entire image to violently shake and blur in parts.. sort of like what happens in The Butterfly Effect and Fight Club.

Any ideas?

Cheers

I would also like to know.
    The shake could be useful for me.

Blog Entries

These kind of questions get asked quite a lot of Adobe Premiere Pro. The thing is, it doesn' have any "presets" that allow this kind of effect to be generated easily. The power comes from the ability to create these effects: you need to think about the tools available and go from there. Put simply, it's not a beginners tool.

So let's look at your first request.

Warp and Distort Peoples Faces

I've never needed to do this, so let's start with what we want to achieve, then see what effects we'll need.

First off we'll be working with the Video Effects. We're going to want to distort the image, so lets take a look at the Distort effects. Within this set of effects is a Twirl. Drop that onto your video and see what it looks like. Remember that not all effects will be noticable without adjusting their settings. Have a play around with the settings. It's probably the effect you're after, right?

Only problem is that it's been applied to the centre of the video. We wanted it applied to a specific portion (just the face). Luckily this effect can be moved around the screen using the settings. But remember you'll have to keyframe these to follow the movement of the face. Some effects are also applied to the whole of the frame, so you need to work out a way of applying the effect to a specific region. You can do this using track mattes.

So you see you're always bring together different parts of your AP knowledge to create effects. If you build a basic toolkit of effects, you can ahcieve pretty much any effect.

violently shake and blur

Again, this can be acheived using these fundamentals: resizing, movement, keying and blur.

Thanks marc, you're a real gem. These forums are sensational and have helped me out quite a bit. Keep it up folks.

No doubt I'll have another post up in a few weeks.

Cheers