Thread: English at NUOL

Default English at NUOL

I'm new to shooting and editing video after 28 years as a pro stills photographer. Here is something I put together at the National University of Laos.

Stills photographer dabbling in video.

I am not sure about the purpose/target audience but for my taste it could have been cut shorter.

Blog Entries

Like XXL I don' really see the purpose of this, unless it's a memento for the students.
    Nevertheless, there are a few pointers I think we can give you straight away as you move from the world of stills into the moving image.

Firstly - already mentioned - the film should really have a purpose. That could be to tell a story, to entertain, to inform, to educate, or simply to record an event. It's good to see you've made some attempt at structure here as far as opening shots/closing shots for the whole film and for each section, but I still didn't see any purpose.

Next - audio. 50% of film is audio. We had barely audible chatter from the tutor and students going on here with lots of horrible room reverb. We weren't sure whether we were meant to be able to hear it or not. If you want us to hear it, the subjects need to be mic'd up properly, if it's not, mix it down even further and the music up.

Next make sure every shot counts. Beware of leaving in scrappy beginnings and endings of shots - just trim the clips.

Next be careful when editing shots together. The dissolve at 1:23 seemed to be between two very similar shots.

Finally, from a photographer, I was surprised that the first what I'd call good shot wasn't until 1:00 (which was a great shot that was the first that drew me in). Try to make sure you get some good ones at the very beginning!

Anyway, hope this is of some use.
    Tim

Hi Yogestee, welcome to the group! Itīs a hard - but delicious - transition to video... My best advice is: start a Vimeo account and watch all the Staff Picks videos.... After 3 or 4 days you will recover as a better filmmaker, donīt worry!

Thanks everyone.
    Stills photographer dabbling in video.