Thread: New England Fall Foliage Video

Default New England Fall Foliage Video

Beautiful New England fall foliage from in and around North Conway and Lincoln, New Hampshire.

Featuring the Conway Scenic Railroad's "7470" steam engine and dramatic aerial views of the White Mountains area at high peak color.

Blog Entries

Gorgeous colours, nicely shot (loved the "under the bridge shot) and very tastefully edited, Damon.
    The only bits I weren't too keen on were the reverse direction at around 1:19 and the shots looking almost vertically down.
    And, of course, the jello effect, but i guess there's not a lot we can do about that.
    It would be interesting to get UK people for the original Hampshire and Lincoln to film similar films. We have preserved steam railways in both counties as well
    Tim

Thanks Tim. The jello really was disappointing. I balance props and use an ND filter but for some reason, just the shots from that one day were really jello-y.

No amount of Adobe Premiere Pro scrubbing with warp stabilizer or rolling shutter repair would scrub it out unfortunately.

The reverse direction at 1:19 was "natural" (ie not done in post) and I debated whether to cut it out but the colors made me leave it in. Duly noted though. Feedback appreciated.

Yeah we have the copies of original cities over here . Love to see the originals one day.
    Last edited by dcooper2025; 10-26-2014 at 11:06 PM.

New England in the fall, beautiful. There was a few shot's I would have edited out especially the road/car shots. Not sure the train fit's with the rest of the shot's so you need to find a better way to introduce the train first before you go close up. Just a thought. really nice place to film. Well done.

Duly noted on the car shots. I got that advice from my wife/artistic director as well. I need to listen to her more obviously.

I had some additional footage with the train coming down the tracks that may have worked as an intro, or I could have used the fly-down over the railway as well. Good feedback guys. Thanks!

Beautiful colours! The drone shots were very good for a simple (?) kit like phantom+gopro... The gimbal made a huge difference! Agree with MB that the train + foliage didnīt mix well.... Both are interesting subjects, but videoīs description/title didnīt introduce the train to us viewers...nor did the video itself.

Beautiful footage if I was to name something I would say the shots need a tighter connections.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    Beautiful colours! The drone shots were very good for a simple (?) kit like phantom+gopro... The gimbal made a huge difference! Agree with MB that the train + foliage didnīt mix well.... Both are interesting subjects, but videoīs description/title didnīt introduce the train to us viewers...nor did the video itself.
    Yeah good point guys. The Conway Scenic Railway is a staple for foliage watchers in New Hampshire and the "7470" steam engine is pretty special and part and parcel of the area which is why I gave it the focus it has. In retrospect though I agree I should have provided more than a glimpse of the railway sign in the opening and Vimeo description.

I'm very surprised by the response to this video: nearly 5,000 views in less than a week. Thanks to all who watched or shared it!