Thread: Expert advice required re my wedding videography

Default Expert advice required re my wedding videography

Good evening. I hope it's alright for me to post here. My husband and I hired the services of a wedding videographer earlier this year. To cut a long story very short, he breached our contract; sequences he agreed to produce were not included in the end production. There are also issues with the video quality - we were shocked to say the least because we've seen previous videos of his work and it was good. Ours isn't horrific but it's not acceptable either. We contacted him to resolve the issue. Initially, he denied agreeing the sequences concerned but then later admitted it when we produced the evidence. He then gave excuses as to why he couldn't produce the sequences which again we refuted as untrue before he finally agreed to re-edit. To date, we have not heard anything more from him and it's been several months. I've taken advice and the upshot is that if we took him to court, he hasn't a leg to stand on.

All I want is what we originally agreed. A decent quality video including the agreed sequences. We've come up with two solutions. He provides what we agreed or he gives us the unedited footage along with reproduction rights so that we can take it elsewhere to be edited. But given his actions up to this point, we aren't hopeful. If he agrees to give us the original footage, what would it cost to have someone edit it? (I know this will vary hugely - just looking for a ball park figure). There's about five hours of filming. We'd like the getting ready sequences, ceremony in full, the photograph sequences, the speeches and first dances and a highlight montage which should whittle it down to a 1 and a half hour DVD at the very most. I'd much rather he did it himself after all that's what we hired him for and agreed to. I wouldn't buy a dog and then bark myself.

Of course, there is also the possibility that he has destroyed or recorded over the original footage. I sincerely hope not but my solicitor has warned me to be prepared for this because although a court can compel him to fulfill the contract they can only do that if the footage still exists. If it does not, I'd be looking to claim some money back - more on principle than anything else, I don't want him to get away with it and do the same to another unsuspecting couple. I don't want to leave the man completely out of pocket though - I'm a reasonable lady and though what we've got is unsatisfactory it's not like we have nothing at all, so if this were the case, I'd only be looking at claiming back the costs to edit it but I don't quite know how to quantify that. If the footage is destroyed, can anything be done to improve the video that we do have?

It's a shame because every other aspect of our wedding was great. All suppliers have received glowing reviews from us and then this :-(

Would appreciate some input from those in the know.

There are bona fide wedding professionals on this forum so I will defer to their opinions, however here are my own:

- get hold of the raw footage
    - watch it and enjoy it as it really was

if the videographer says your footage was somehow "erased", then the more likely scenario is that he bungled the shoot and didn't get the raw footage in the first place (forgot to turn the camera on, couldn't figure out what the red button does, etc) - in this case you should sue the mf'er for everything he's got (but you are likely looking at something on the order of 20p)

Zam
    Last edited by zamiotana; 10-25-2014 at 02:07 AM.

Thank you for your reply. What you've said makes perfect sense. He told us that there wasn't enough footage which we disputed because there are parts of the day where he appeared to be filming which didn't find its way into the video. If he hadn't switched it on then that would account for that because to a novice like myself, someone points a camera and gives me a direction, I'm assuming he's filming. I should've seen it coming, really. When I look back there were signs there that should have rang alarm bells. Hindsight is a wonderful thing! I feel like such an idiot. I'm glad we do have some footage to remember the day by but it falls far short of what we agreed to.

Hi Roberta

I am sorry for your situation and 100% agree with zamiotana. Be unsurprised if there are chunks missing because he couldn't / didn't do his job. It happens for all kinds of reasons but have no idea what actually happened and would need to have the details including how much you paid. It sounds like inexperience but could be anything, two sides to every story etc...

Exactly as Zamiotana suggests, if I were in your position, I would get hold of as much of the raw footage as possible. At the very least, he is right in that it will be nice for you to see and at best, it will allow you to get quotes from pro editors who might have a shot at sorting out the issues. There are plenty of editors out there and I can give you some names of excellent professionals who will be able to quote you once they know what you have and what your expectations are.

Before doing that, what would be extremely useful is to see a little of what you have. A small amount of footage would give all of us here something to work with as you will find most of us on here have eyes trained by years, if not decades, of analysing visuals. You would be amazed at what we can do here.

As a note, so you can understand my level and what I do (and I am definitely not a wedding guy!):

Music video: https://vimeo.com/paulrwalker/review...935/ccf932163f
    Showreel (montage of stuff I have directed, all pasted together): https://vimeo.com/paulrwalker/review...168/1df6f187a7
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen

There's a huge difference in viewing wedding promo showreels and watching a complete wedding. I've always advised clients to shop around but not to be decieved by short promos as these are easily modded up with a funky track just to make poor fiming look great.
    I've re-edited a couple of weddings that were produced by 'professionals' which turn out to be 'total amateur' when the raw footage is viewed. So don't be surprised that despite you requesting certain shots, they just won't be there. In the heat of the moment they will no doubt have been missed due to blind panic.

The last wedding I edited was for friends of a couple who's wedding video I produced. They knew I was expensive so shopped around and found a cheaper company and were impressed with the same scenario above.
    The re-edit (which was pure torture) cost them about 800 and involved having to obtain photographers shots to cover the missed scenes and piece together the horrendous content into something watchable.
    They admitted they couldn't even show their original to close family, but were now proud to have a memento of something resembling a decent record of their wedding day.
    Don't fall for the same scam twice and if you do obtain all of the camera footage/tapes, shop around for a decent editor who can prove, with examples, of their clever editing.
    Edited properly, you shouldn't even realise that certain scenes are missing.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    There's a huge difference in viewing wedding promo showreels and watching a complete wedding. I've always advised clients to shop around but not to be decieved by short promos as these are easily modded up with a funky track just to make poor fiming look great.
    I've re-edited a couple of weddings that were produced by 'professionals' which turn out to be 'total amateur' when the raw footage is viewed. So don't be surprised that despite you requesting certain shots, they just won't be there. In the heat of the moment they will no doubt have been missed due to blind panic.

The last wedding I edited was for friends of a couple who's wedding video I produced. They knew I was expensive so shopped around and found a cheaper company and were impressed with the same scenario above.
    The re-edit (which was pure torture) cost them about 800 and involved having to obtain photographers shots to cover the missed scenes and piece together the horrendous content into something watchable.
    They admitted they couldn't even show their original to close family, but were now proud to have a memento of something resembling a decent record of their wedding day.
    Don't fall for the same scam twice and if you do obtain all of the camera footage/tapes, shop around for a decent editor who can prove, with examples, of their clever editing.
    Edited properly, you shouldn't even realise that certain scenes are missing.
    Only 800 for a wall-to-wall re-edit!!! You sound cheap compared to London!

I would echo what Mr APV Videomaker of the year says and I don't know anyone who hires anyone else off a reel ('reel' in my world, 'promos' in the wedding world). However, if the reel isn't there or if it's rubbish then it's a quick way to take the director / DoP / editor out of consideration. In my area, everyone looks at the best samples of work, awards, relevance etc...
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen

I'm sure the OP will be astute enough to recognise a well balanced editor - They're very easy to spot . . . they have a chip on both shoulders
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club