Thread: Paddling "documentary" in Brazil

Default Paddling "documentary" in Brazil

OK, if you have time to spare, here is my 30 minutes video on our paddling trip along Roosevelt river..... Hope you like it.

Instead of having the pictures on black in the beginning I would have probably used them as pip as you have enough room.
    4:20 the red font on green did not work well for me
    The fades to black are sometimes slightly too long for my taste (e.g. 06:20).
    At 06:10 I guess you mean "people who have been there" instead of "people who has been there"
    10:55 too much depth of field - it would be better if the plant in the foreground were blurred out
    Probably I would have favored a narator offer info text e.g. with the historic footage (which I really liked by the way).
    I always wonder how this historic footage would look of you reduced the playback speed. I will have to test it some day.
    Music was well chosen.
    You told a very nice story and overall the video looked very professional to me.

Yes - very professional

I aerial shots were (surprisingly) steady

great job

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Instead of having the pictures on black in the beginning I would have probably used them as pip as you have enough room.
    I disagree. Once we've been introduced to the speaker, his face becomes irrelevant and would only serve as a distraction from the pictures and subtitles (we've already got a lot to look at). It also means that you can edit for the audio and not worry about jump cuts in the shots of the presenter

Have you done anything to this since the version I saw last month, Tony. The plain backgrounds look blacker than I remember...
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    4:20 the red font on green did not work well for me
    The fades to black are sometimes slightly too long for my taste (e.g. 06:20).
    At 06:10 I guess you mean "people who have been there" instead of "people who has been there"
    10:55 too much depth of field - it would be better if the plant in the foreground were blurred out
    Probably I would have favored a narator offer info text e.g. with the historic footage (which I really liked by the way).
    I always wonder how this historic footage would look of you reduced the playback speed. I will have to test it some day.
    Music was well chosen.
    You told a very nice story and overall the video looked very professional to me.
    Hi XX, thanks a lot for your comments. I was in doubt about the pip option. I guess I had enough talking heads already, so moving to a different image was important as a change. And the size would probably make it too difficult to see details. Maybe Ill try this option, just to see what happens. Yes, some fades to black got a bit longer than ideal. Ill check them. On the narrator over the historical images... Not sure, but I understand what you mean... Ill have a try on that too. Thanks for watching and comments.

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    Yes - very professional

I aerial shots were (surprisingly) steady

great job
    The Steady Shot of the NX70 is really powerful! Its quite amazing sometimes, specially when filming from inside a car! The aerial shots were interesting, but the window glare ruined 90% of them... Thanks for watching and comments Zami!!

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I disagree. Once we've been introduced to the speaker, his face becomes irrelevant and would only serve as a distraction from the pictures and subtitles (we've already got a lot to look at). It also means that you can edit for the audio and not worry about jump cuts in the shots of the presenter

Have you done anything to this since the version I saw last month, Tony. The plain backgrounds look blacker than I remember...
    Hi Tim, I changed a few things...

a) that looong chapter one was divided in two, waht alowed me to reduce a bit the fishing section
    b) inserted a few more images over the talking heads. Not many, but some.... Guess I can (need) insert even more.
    c) didnt change anything on the plain backgoround shots... If you watch it full screen it looks closer to the original gray. Rendering to 30p seems to change contrast a bit, but dont ask me why!!
    d) changed one music only but, since the entire movie is over just 3 songs, its impossible to remember where!!

Overall I liked he experience of editing something longer than 10 minutes and with a more complex timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I had similar thoughts but couldn't make up a final mind (and still can't). Some (3D) Ken Burns may be an alternative.