Thread: Need help with stylized title look

Default Need help with stylized title look

Hi Everyone,

My first post here. I was hoping someone might be able to help ? I have been trying to follow a tutorial to get a stylized look intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0vnu6qbn7U ( 3.20 tutorial starts )for my You Tube channel.

The tutorial is done in AE, I use Vegas, so I tried to apply the same techniques, I'm really new to video, so I was being a bit ambitious!

Anyways, essentially it was just creating a mask, curves, threshold, blur type thing. I spent best part of a day experimenting, but the curve and threshold adjustments failed to match the effect that was created in the tutorial using AE. Maybe i'm doing something wrong but cant work it out ? I am only trying to create the effect as a still rather than a movie, maybe that's the problem I don't know, but if anyone could help would really appreciate it..

Thanks
    Last edited by Scouser; 10-22-2014 at 02:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Which part are you struggling with? Can you link tyo an image(s) of your attempts and explain what is "wrong with them".
    I did something similar (but much more basic) in Vegas a while back - this was against a green screen (whilst we were setting it up)

It may be that the problem lies with the image you have - not enough/too much contrast and not in the right places or something. As you can see from my video, the threshold is all over the place as lighting changes due to the moving subjects.
    Tim

Hey Tim,

Thanks for getting back to me, love your video!

I scrapped my efforts so cant link, but I am experimenting and will post when I have something. In theory is shouldn't be too hard as Im only trying to do it on a snapshot rather than a video, so threshold should be ok, however when I watch the video tutorial the threshold on it behaves very differently to mine ? So as you say it could be down to the image, having said that the picture on the tutorial, does not look like anything special ? What should I aim for when taking the shot ? High contrast ?

Blog Entries

No idea! The footage I used here was just any old footage (as I suggested just outtakes as we were setting up for green screen). If you like to send a link to the original image, I'm happy to have a play with it and send you the veg.
    Tim

Hey Tim,

That's really kind of you to offer, I had a few hrs to play about with the idea and came up with this pic below. I don't think its too bad ? Obviously it could be improved..

Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Nice Job.
    One comment I would make is that placing the character facing out of the frame makes it less inviting than if he was facing into the frame, so I'd have him on the right hand side. (If you're not aware of this, Google "leading space" in the context of photographs/films)
    Tim

Tried everything the other way around, didn't look right.. Have gone with this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFNU...c8E1WOXyHkbOPg

I agree with Tim that the photo isn't really right facing out of frame like that but because of the direction of the eyes it does work for me.