Thread: How do I setup a remote video editor?

Default How do I setup a remote video editor?

Hey Guys,

I'm in need of some assistance. I'm running a laptop which is a little under powered for what I really want it to do. with that being said I have a server that I have setup with this in mind. It is running a Virtual Machine software called vSphere and I wanted to setup a remote renderer and editor from this computer. I'm most familiar with the Sony Vegas (Movie Studio) line of products, however I'm willing to shift to something that is going to work. I would like to spend about $100 US on the software but if there is a solution that will work better/best then by all means that's what I want to use.

I tried to setup movie studio 13 on the virtual machine and edit via Remote Desktop Protocol but it was very choppy and not good for editing, but I wanted to reach out to you guys for all the help that you can offer. Please let me know what you guys suggest.

Thank you,

Quote Originally Posted by lucas.robb View Post
    Hey Guys,

I'm in need of some assistance. I'm running a laptop which is a little under powered for what I really want it to do. with that being said I have a server that I have setup with this in mind. It is running a Virtual Machine software called vSphere and I wanted to setup a remote renderer and editor from this computer. I'm most familiar with the Sony Vegas (Movie Studio) line of products, however I'm willing to shift to something that is going to work. I would like to spend about $100 US on the software but if there is a solution that will work better/best then by all means that's what I want to use.

I tried to setup movie studio 13 on the virtual machine and edit via Remote Desktop Protocol but it was very choppy and not good for editing, but I wanted to reach out to you guys for all the help that you can offer. Please let me know what you guys suggest.

Thank you,
    What's the codec? Are we talking 5k RAW or prores HD? If your laptop can't handle something as simple as basic HD, you're starting to get in the realms of handing over the files to someone who can handle them.

Otherwise, when files are too big, I hit the proxy button. So an example would be a music vid I directed: https://vimeo.com/paulrwalker/review...935/ccf932163f

Shot BMCC 2.5k RAW and with low to medium level VFX, no way could a simple PC take this on. As an idea, we were burning through 240 GB SSD cards every 10 minutes. So just reached for the Proxy button.
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lucas.robb View Post
    I tried to setup movie studio 13 on the virtual machine and edit via Remote Desktop Protocol but it was very choppy and not good for editing,
    If that's the case it is the virtual machine that does not have enough grunt as all the work is being done on that.
    Tim

Thanks guys for the thoughts. I'll explain what I have going on

Laptop:
    core i5 1.6Ghz
    4 GB Ram
    128GB SSD
    DX11
    Video editing works ok, some minor choppiness on the edit
    render takes FOREVER!(5:45 video takes over an hour to render)

VirtualMachine:
    3.6 Ghz core i7 (2 cores allocated to VM, more available)
    4GB Ram (more available to allocate)
    32GB virtual hard drive (2TB available in Network storage)
    Edit is choppy but render is fantastic! (2:45 video takes 10 minutes to render)

Video Codec: AVCHD

I like the idea of proxy render but it does seem kind of complicated, is there a software that supports this natively? I could setup the remote render(er) and then just input the IP address of the remote render machine? (kind of like a render farm, but smaller scale).

All the main NLEs support proxy. Avid, FCP Xi, Adobe to name but three. There is literally a proxy 'dropdown' I click in Xi and life becomes very fast and simple very quickly. As a note, FCP Xi renders while editing meaning the footage is always available to edit. This means your 10 minute rendering is zero minutes for me as I can access the files during the render.

But to answer the question, loads of NLEs.
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen

Using a virtual machine for graphics intensive operations, particularly video editing is a bad idea. You won't have access to a proper GPU, your RAM access it both low and indirect and your hard disk access is also virtualised, making it slower.

Rendering 2.5 minutes in 10 minutes is pretty poor. I can render 2.5 minutes of video (using FCPX) in less than a minute, including multiple layers of colour corrections etc. However, if you're happy with it then not a problem.

In terms of proxy editing, if your machine is low powered then it's absolutely recommended.

Transcode your media to a proxy file set in a folder called 'proxy' and have your full media in a folder called 'full' (you can choose your own names).

Rename your 'full' folder to 'media' and ingest that media to your NLE. Once it's ingested, shut the NLE down, rename the 'media' folder back to 'full', then the 'proxy' folder to 'media'. See what just happened here? Now start up your NLE and start editing. When you're ready to export quit the NLE, rename the 'media' folder to 'proxy' and your 'full' to 'media'. Restart your NLE to a final render / export using the full quality media.

This works with most NLEs.

For built in proxy workflow I use FCPX, but that's not available on Windows, sorry.

thank you all so much, this is all great information!

sadly I know that my results aren't great and what I'm hoping to do isn't "ideal" but considering the resources at my disposal, I'm hoping simply to "maximize" what I've got.

after researching based on your ideas there was a few findings that came to mind:
    1. avidemux and cinelerra
    open sourced video editors that both appear to have render farm capabilities to utilize a virtual server I could setup for this.
    2. linux video editor with x11 forwarding
    I can setup a linux based video editor and have the x11 graphics forwarded to my laptop to get integration on my system

do any of you have any thoughts/ideas about what I mentioned above? all help is wonderful!