Thread: Horizontal Scrolling Line

Question Horizontal Scrolling Line

Hi guys,I'm new on this forum and I'm just a bit in video editing. I have an issue to solve and I'm sure that somebody here has the answer to my question: I need to make a simple music video - imagine to have a black background with a vertical white line in the middle. Than imagine a second horizontal line close to the bottom. This second horizontal line scroll and change color in according with a specific part of the soundtracks. For ex, if the soundtrack is a song, the horizontal line change color when the track change mood, like from bridge to chorus for example.you can see the attached image:

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Or you can see this ugly video that I tryed to make using a simple text scrolling and 'underscore' character.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4n...ew?usp=sharing

In any case, I'd like to know if exist any video editing software who can make it simple.Thank you very much. I hope I choose the righr forum category! If it's not so, I apologize for that. Fabio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fabs View Post
    In any case, I'd like to know if exist any video editing software who can make it simple.Thank you very much. I hope I choose the righr forum category! If it's not so, I apologize for that. Fabio
    This is an absolutely perfect question for this category!
    I could do this in Sony Vegas (or it's little brother, Movie Studio) in a matter of minutes. But I don' t have any minutes right now! maybe later if no-one else has a solution.
    Tim

Hi TimStannard,

Thank you very much for your useful information. I'm going to have a quick view of these this software!
    I hope to find the way to do that by myself! If I don't, I'll ask you some help!

Thank you very much!

Fabio

Question

Hi Tim,
    I just had a look to the softwares that you suggested me. Both of them are available for windows only.
    Do you know if exist any software for mac osx ?
    We really need it!

Thank you very much for your help!

Fabio

Blog Entries

Sorry I can't help you with Mac programs, but I'd be very surprised if this couldn't be done even in iMovie - you may need to create the graphics in something else first.
    Tim

Ok Tim,

Thank you anyway for your help!
    I tried to do that with iMovie so I created a background image with the vertical line in the middle. Then I tray to insert a scrolling text but it's no possible to mach the right text color with the right music moment.
    Can you tell me if what I did is right or if there's another path to follow?

Thank you very much

Fabio

Blog Entries

Getting the colour change to hit the line at the right moment can be done two ways:
    1. Make sure you design you coloured line so the colour changes occur at exactly the right point. For example if the music is 30 secs long a change occurs at 10 secs, the colour change should occur exactly 1/3 the way along the line
    2. Animate the line movemet so that you keyframe a colour change hitting the vertical line at the point the music change occurs. (iMovie may not have keyframes animation)

The second is easier (if you have keyframes) but won't result in a smooth scroll of the line.
    Tim