Thread: Video editing software for easy and precise spliting and joining

Default Video editing software for easy and precise spliting and joining

What i need is a software that offers exactly the same funcionality as Windows Movie Maker trim tool but it should actually work.

What i want to do is to take some video, cut small pieces from it and make new video from them.
    The cutting tool should be very precise (about 0.01 s, i know that video frame rate may cap precision). As i said it should offer the same as Movie Maker trim tool - setting start and end point, entering my own numerical time value (not only inaccurate sliders), easy play back of selected fragment.

Why i can't use Movie Maker?
    Because it does not work as intended. Sliced video fragments tend to stop working, silence themselves after adding new fragment or play longer then intended. Whats more after saving the video final effect is different then preview.

I already tried lots of video editors (Wondershare Video Editor, Youtube Editor, VSDC Free Video Editor, Ezvid and few more i can't recall now) but none of them offered what i need.

Any help will be appreciated.

Premiere Elements.

You don't say what type of video you are trying to edit (a description of the camera you are using might help there if you don't know the type). The formats used by most modern cameras and camcorders tend to have one common characteristic. They all use 'long GOP' (Group of Pictures) video formats.
    What this means is that the video is compressed during recording into a form that makes it quite difficult to edit with 'frame accuracy' -which is essentially what you are requesting.

There are two common solutions to this problem:

1) Use a video editor that allows 'smart rendering'. This will almost certainly mean using a payware solution... Sony Vegas or Premiere Elements - as suggested above -seem to be a popular choices for example. It will also need a modern and fairly high spec PC to work well.

2) You can convert the video into an 'intraframe' format that makes it much easier to edit accurately ('frame accurate' editing).
    You can achieve that using free software, but you need to be aware that these converted 'working' files are much bigger than the original video. They only need to be temporary though -you don't need to keep them after you've finished your editing.
    It's a couple of extra stages, so a bit more fiddling about - but it is a free and accurate way of achieving what you want to do.

Which kind of converter is best suited will depend on what format your current video is in.....

Hello !

You want to "cut small pieces from your video and make new video from them" easily ? I think I may have a solution for you.
    A new solution is currently being launched that allows you to edit the videos of your activities in a few minutes bay tagging the best moments directly during your activity. The name is Flagg'it, you can visit the website at http://flagg-it.com/
    Tell me what you think about it !

Thx ! See you soon !

Quote Originally Posted by alexthevenot View Post

You want to "cut small pieces from your video and make new video from them" easily ? I think I may have a solution for you.
    A new solution is currently being launched that allows you to edit the videos of your activities in a few minutes bay tagging the best moments directly during your activity. The name is Flagg'it......
    I think you may have missed the point here.... the next phrase directly after the one you quoted says ' The cutting tool should be very precise (about 0.01 s, i know that video frame rate may cap precision)'

I can't see how inserting a 'flag' of some sort into a long GOP format, whilst it is a being recorded, is ever going to be 'frame accurate'.... which is what the OP is asking?

I would suggest that frame accurate editing is only going to be achieved with either smart rendering, or working with an intraframe conversion of the original log GOP file....

Okay ! I didn't understand that "small pieces" meant less than a second, that's it ?