Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New skateboarding/ bmx video

1. Default New skateboarding/ bmx video

I have been filming for this video alot in the last 6 months. have clocked at least 40 hours of editing time because i changed alot of things and sometimes i just edit stuff when im bored. Criticism is always welcome. thanks for watching

Very cool. should grab yourself a GoPro Hero 4 and start shooting in 4k!

Some sequences looked blurry for me where others were perfectly crisp
    I didn't like the long black screens at 3:20 and 7:20
    Some close-up shots would have been nice
    You switch aspect ration at 4:10
    At least some steadier footage would have been nice
    Personally I didn't like some of the effects but I guess that's just subjective and at least gives a consistent look.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Some sequences looked blurry for me where others were perfectly crisp
    I didn't like the long black screens at 3:20 and 7:20
    Some close-up shots would have been nice
    You switch aspect ration at 4:10
    At least some steadier footage would have been nice
    Personally I didn't like some of the effects but I guess that's just subjective and at least gives a consistent look.
    This was filmed on many different cameras with different aspect ratios and resolutions so that explains the aspect ratio switch and random blurriness (also caused by the fact that YouTube struggles hard to process a 10 minute long video) most unsteady footage was shot with a gopro and if you have ever ridden a bike with a crappy camera such as a gopro its not very easy to stay steady. Far away shots were usually because 1-2 years ago I was not very good with a fisheye. And effects are just something I wanted as a all around style for the video, wanted it to have the same look and feel throughout the video and I kind of like the idea of using pictures of stuff such as women for effects. I liked the idea and I feel like nobody really does stuff like that. I will definitely try avoiding shakiness and other above mentioned problems because the riders suggested we make a sequel to the video.thank you for suggestions

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HarryP View Post
    Very cool. should grab yourself a GoPro Hero 4 and start shooting in 4k!
    I do have a gopro. I probably wouldn't buy one ever again though. I prefer cameras that use mini dv/ HDV tapes. I also prefer standard definition over HD when it comes to skateboarding and biking. I try not to hate on gopros too much because they pack wild features in but I feel like they need to work on making the basic features better. Colors always seem dull and my hero 3 was terrible in low light. Thanks for the suggestion though!

You could have cropped the widescreen footage to 4:3. I would have preferred this over an aspect ratio switch.
    There are options to even film fairly steady with a GoPro. You can e.g. use a tripod as improvised dolly or steady cam. I am not saying that some shakiness is not fine bit this was a bit too much for my taste (others may disagree).

7. Default

I understand what you are saying but the majority of this was filmed in 16:9 but all of the videos from his part were in 4:3 and i talked to him and recommended staying in 4:3 because if i crop it it will lose quality. Also im 17 and do not feel like wasting most of my paycheck for a tripod or the like. Most of the shakiness is in the past though because i now have a panasonic gs120 with a .3x fisheye and optical image stabilization and its alot easier to keep steady due to size and weight. I understand your ideas but they wont help me now because i have switched to SD handycams over GoPros and DSLRs. Thanks for the reply though. I will make an update when the sequel is released ( probably december).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emmausrider9 View Post
    i have switched to SD handycams over GoPros and DSLRs.
    Fantastic! Someone who is brave enough not to follow the trend (particularly surprising for someone of your age when most 17 year olds would be arguing about the benefits of Red Epics vs BMD Pocket Cameras vs 5D MK2s when they've never even held one.

On the other hand...

do not feel like wasting most of my paycheck for a tripod or the like.
    The words waste money and tripod should only be used together in a sentence where the words poor and quality are also used.
    Tim

but all of the videos from his part were in 4:3 and i talked to him and recommended staying in 4:3 because if i crop it it will lose quality.
    I meant cropping the 16:9 footage.

and do not feel like wasting most of my paycheck for a tripod or the like
    What kind of tripods are you looking at?

10. Default

Haha thanks! I kind of prefer tapes/film over digital stuff just because it holds sentimental value when i have to use a darkroom or capture footage to my computer for some reason. Its kind of nostalgic to me. I know what you mean and i think i should not have used the word "wasting" because adding to my equipment is in no way a waste. I meant that i have other things like my car, gas, bike, and skateboard that i need to consider as well when i purchase things. I'm trying to move out when im 18 unlike most people my age haha!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast