Thread: What Video Editing Software Do I Need?

Default What Video Editing Software Do I Need?

I currently use Movie Edit Pro 2013 Plus and my computer is not the best spec and it always takes me 2 hours to make a 5min video as playback is extremely slow and keeps freezing.
    I have seen something about Proxy Editing where making a video uses smaller video files so it does not freeze in playback and once you save the video it saves it in the original HD format.

I am running the following:

• Windows 8
    • Intel Pentium CPU B960 @ 2.20GHz
    • Ram: 6.00GB (5.88 GB usable)
    • 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Which video editor software would be recommended to use for HD videos which has a built in Proxy Editor?
    Do you have to set up Proxy Editor or does it work automatically?
    as I am not very technical at all.

I am would ideally like to install a software and start editing straight away without having to set up complicated files etc.

Your computer is low spec so may have trouble with anything that is H264 based in real time. Proxy editing is a good idea on low spec machines, but much depends on how much you are willing to spend on the software.

I'm not familiar with Movie Edit Pro 2013 at all, however, if may be that the software can use proxy files for editing then use the real files for final output with a little juggling of folder names. Have all your full rez media in one folder (e.g. 'media') and the proxy media in another one (e.g. proxy). Just rename the folders so that the software thinks it's using the same media, but in fact you switched it. That's how I used to work in Premiere Pro before I went to FCPX, but alas FCPX (which has built in proxy workflow) is mac only.

Not sure about Edius or Vegas, they may have it built in but I'm not a windows user.

The idea of being able to edit without using proxy means you need to upgrade your hardware to an i5 or i7 CPU and a decent GPU helps big time as well.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Not sure about Edius or Vegas,
    Vegas certainly does (not sure about Movie Studio) but I've never had need of it so can't comment on how easy it is to use or how effective it is.

The following is new to Movie Studio Platinum 13

Some of the listed system requirements for the software

• Microsoft® Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit or Windows 8 32-bit or 64-bit (including Windows 8.1)
    • 2 GHz processor (multicore or multiprocessor CPU recommended for HD or stereoscopic 3D)
    • 500 MB hard-disk space for program installation
    • 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)

See more on the SCS site. You can download the free time-limited trial from there as well.
    Last edited by vkmast; 10-09-2014 at 07:24 AM.