Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video + Radio Sound - Help!

1. Default Video + Radio Sound - Help!

Hi guys,

I need some help with buying a mic that I can use on my dslr camera, and with Adobe Audition to make radio demos /podcasts.

Initially I was going to go for a rode videomic pro, mainly for the dslr, but after watching the video below, I'm not too sure which mic/setup would be best?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/...part-1-run-gun

I'll be filming Piece to cameras (PTC), interviews, and other outdoor footage on the dslr (for short documentarys). From what I can gather, a lav mic maybe better for this, especially for interviews?

But would there be a mic/setup that I could use for radio as well as video I plan too shoot as well - so I don't need to purchase 2-3 mics?

Thanks

Blog Entries

If your interviews will involve two people (interviewer and interviewee) on screen avoid a mono shotgun mic. Because of the pickup pattern the audio will be louder from whichever direction the mic is facing. Pointing the camera between two people might work but will be less than optimal. Pointing it at the person speaking only will work but if the other person interjects, the audio will be noticeably lower. What's more, swinging a camera from person to person doesn't create great shots.
    The pattern produced by a stereo mic is more forgiving (but of course it will pick up much more ambient sound - like the camera operator breathing!)

Lav's are great so long as you will always be in a situation where you have time to set up the interviewee with one. You would require one for interviewer and another for interviewee and so would require some sort of 2 input mixer/preamp (like the JuicedLink shown in the B&H video)

However, unless you're dead against showing the mic on camera, I'd be inclined to go for a handheld mic. You can get it close to and move between speakers with ease. The only issue you may have is that using one of those in the film, they use unbalanced cables and you may well get some handling noise from the cable (what's more, cables such as this are prone to interference and the longer the run, the greater the problem). really you'd be looking at something with XLRs which wuld mean an XLR preamp (Juiced Link/Beachtek) at the camera end and we start escalating again.

Fundamentally, if you're in a controlled environment (indoors, interviewees happy to take time to get it right) you will probably be OK with any of the kit demonstrated (just go for the quality/cost that fits your budget). If you're after run and gun street interviews, DSLRs and mics shown in this video are not really ideal. Possible, but not ideal.
    Tim

3. Default

Thanks for the informative reply Tim

RE: interviews, I'll be doing them mostly involving 2 people (interviewer and interviewee), so a hand held mic would be better in that instance, but I may have issues with handling noise and interference?
    I'll be doing interviews indoors within controlled environments, but will also need to do street interviews also......what mic would be suitable for the street interviews?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
    Thanks for the informative reply Tim

RE: interviews, I'll be doing them mostly involving 2 people (interviewer and interviewee), so a hand held mic would be better in that instance, but I may have issues with handling noise and interference?
    I'll be doing interviews indoors within controlled environments, but will also need to do street interviews also......what mic would be suitable for the street interviews?
    You're right to be concerne about handling noise. Rode make a very basic pistol grip which connects to the suspended mount of the Videomic (Don't attempt to hold the mic without using the suspension - it's very prone to handling noise). I have a Rode PG2 which is basically a handle and a rubber bung, this works fine with my shotgun (Senheisser ME66/K6) but wouldn't work with the Rode Videomic (and is ridiculously priced for what it is).

The basic Rode Pistol Grip (PG1) will work with anything designed to be mounted on a hot show, but make sure there is some suspension there.

I might be inclined to use my Shure SM58 for street interviews. That's a singers mic - "the" singers' mic as it is extremely durable and becomes very warm sounding when close up. however it works pretty well from 12-18 inches as an interview mic. However, it's a dynamic mic requiring a pre amp so you're back to using a Beachtek/Juiced Link.

You're asking all the right sort of questions, and no doubt beginning to understand why it is that professional spend shed loads of money on professional equipment - often seemingly duplicating items that have only subtle differences. They need the right tool for the right job, reliably, with the minimum set up every time. We enthusiasts just have to make the best of what we can afford, which inevitably means compromise. But it's an exciting challenge!
    Tim

5. Default

I think your final sentence really summed up where I'm currently at "We enthusiasts make the best of what we can afford which inevitably means compromise"

I'm on a budget and really should learn/work with the basics before I get carried away with buying expensive mics and preamps/mixers.

What would you suggest would be a budget compromise to get me started? Like you said the rode stereo mic won't be ideal, but as long as I'm indoors in a controlled environment it maybe ok? Is there a cheaper alternative stereo mic.

And for street interviews, I'm not left with much choice outside of a beachtek and shure sm58 combo?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
    And for street interviews, I'm not left with much choice outside of a beachtek and shure sm58 combo?
    You might look for a used EV RE50 or RE50/B rather than an SM58.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Indeed and that is deigned for the job. I'd consider my SM58 because it is a "no-cost" option for me

Cruz, the Rode stereo mic pro will quite probably do the job adequately. I have a friend with one. He's not done street interviews as such and I've only heard it mounted on camera. But with the right grip or decent insulation you should be fine. Is there any chance you could get some on trial or even hire mics?
    Tim

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    I had a look into that one...and they are quite affordable used......thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Indeed and that is deigned for the job. I'd consider my SM58 because it is a "no-cost" option for me

Cruz, the Rode stereo mic pro will quite probably do the job adequately. I have a friend with one. He's not done street interviews as such and I've only heard it mounted on camera. But with the right grip or decent insulation you should be fine. Is there any chance you could get some on trial or even hire mics?
    I friend of mine mentioned somewhere local that allows you to rent equipment, so I could always check to see if they have one in store. At least then...I get try before I by as you suggested.

With the grip (for interview purposes)....would it just be a case of extending the aux cable from the camera to the mic, then holding it as close as possible to the interviewee ....out of shot?

9. Default

Also....could you give me your thoughts on the zoom h4/n audio recorder opposed to the rode stereo mic?
    Last edited by Cruz; 10-06-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't buy it. It's a perfectly good bit of kit (a friend has one - I'm a cheapskate and have an H2) but the H5 has less noisy preamps and is more versatile with the different capsules, and has a better user interface.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast