Thread: Downhill Biking!!

Default Downhill Biking!!

Here's my latest downhill video. My fourth one in total, and I think probably my favourite.

In my others I used a Glidecam as well as a Glidetrack, but this time just my track. It made it a lot more cinematic, I'm pretty pleased! Some shots were a little darker than I hoped, but that's what you get in a forest I suppose :P

I've seen quite a lot of great extreme sports videos on here, so I'm keen to see what you guys think. Let me know

Joe

I definitely liked it. You could work a bit on focus pulling though. What did you do for color grading?

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    I definitely liked it. You could work a bit on focus pulling though. What did you do for color grading?
    Thanks. What was wrong with my pull focussing, may I ask? I graded in FCP X, just using the standard colour tools - made the blacks more blue, highlights a slight orangey yellow, and the fiddled with the mids to get an even finish.

You worked a lot with shots that were out of focus where I was actually looking at. One thing that comes to my mind is that for bike videos close ups of gears and shifting usually work fine.

That's how focus works... it's supposed to draw the eye. Close ups of gears is a little cliche for me.

Blog Entries

Artistically it worked quite well for me although the overall look was somehow a bit "muddy" (I don't mean dirty or indistinct, rather "brown"). I loved the camera movement and many shots worked particularly well. I wasn't sure about cutting to the larking about towards the end - particularly as it went on rather too long for my taste. Don't get me wrong, it's good to show the human side, the personalities, but its introduction 2/3 of the way through seemed rather strange.
    I'd like to see you apply your talents/craft to something that has a bit more content - a film that takes the viewer on a journey - rather than a snapshot.
    Tim

I mean actually sequences like 0:45 or 1:35 when I wanted to be pulled into the action but the focus didn't let me.