Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBB Kuwait Station 20 Years of Broadcasting History

Default IBB Kuwait Station 20 Years of Broadcasting History

This is a relatively short (07:12) visual documentary of the history of the IBB Kuwait transmitting Station from its inception in 1993 until this past year. It was compiled from archived stills and video clips and is presented in the context of the world events that shaped its initial establishment and subsequent evolution over the past two decades.

I think the video would have profited from some more moving footage in the beginning e.g. for the camels. Sometimes you could have probably have better hidden that you use stills by using a cleverer choice of pan and zoom e.g. be leaving out moving elements like people.
    Having the 9/11 footage so small did not work for me.
    Some voice over could have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    I think the video would have profited from some more moving footage in the beginning e.g. for the camels. Sometimes you could have probably have better hidden that you use stills by using a cleverer choice of pan and zoom e.g. be leaving out moving elements like people.
    Having the 9/11 footage so small did not work for me.
    Some voice over could have been nice.
    I agree that it would have profited from some more moving footage in the beginning, but it simply was not available. That was back in 1993 and before everyone and his brother had consumer grade video cameras. Man, it was so far back that they were using analog mobile telephones here. The 911 footage was small for one reason: The resolution of the available video was low and blowing it up to full screen size just did not look that good when expanded. Thanks for the excellent feedback.

Really interesting.... Since itīs a documentary about the construction, I just miss a few explanations: 1) why was it build? 2) what it transmits? 3) why such a huge US thing in Kuwait?? Is that a military thing??? What the people from Kuwait gets (in good and/or bad ways) from this facility there? Was this facility another motive or another result for the 9/11 attacks?

I understand itīs a movie about the construction of the station, but the political implications may give a much more interesting view to it. And, as a political act, many sides may have/give an oppinion about itīs existence... etc etc. The video raised a lot of questions to me, what was interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    I agree that it would have profited from some more moving footage in the beginning, but it simply was not available.
    You still have the option of pimping it with stock footage of camels, palm trees and wind blowing sand around.

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    You still have the option of pimping it with stock footage of camels, palm trees and wind blowing sand around.
    Yes, but then it would just be a piece of fabricated visual entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    Really interesting.... Since itīs a documentary about the construction, I just miss a few explanations: 1) why was it build? 2) what it transmits? 3) why such a huge US thing in Kuwait?? Is that a military thing??? What the people from Kuwait gets (in good and/or bad ways) from this facility there? Was this facility another motive or another result for the 9/11 attacks?

I understand itīs a movie about the construction of the station, but the political implications may give a much more interesting view to it. And, as a political act, many sides may have/give an oppinion about itīs existence... etc etc. The video raised a lot of questions to me, what was interesting!
    I understand what you are saying, but I am not in a position to address any of those specific questions.

Blog Entries

I thought the use of stills was not at all off-putting, indeed it added authenticity. Appreciate your lips are professionally sealed but I would have liked a bit more information, perhaps explaining in a bit more detail information you have already included on screen.
    The change of flavour when we hit 9/11 was excellent. It didn't feel like it lasted 7+ minutes which is surprising given so much is stills and the subject is rather dry (in more senses than one!) and not one that particularly interests me, so good job well done! Having said it doesn't interest me I thought the shots of the dishes being assembled and mounted were particularly fascinating.
    Having said that theer were two things I most definitely did not like: Music and Titles/Captions.
    Music - well, more precisely one piece of music. The rest was fine but the Latin American piece seemed entirely inappropriate - not in an offencive way or anything, just plain and simple wrong. It was even ore bizarre in that it introduced equipment arriving from Germany. So we have a US site in a Middle East country with German equipment and you bring in Latin American music! It's just plain wrong!

OK, so maybe it's just a personal style thing. And maybe so it the following: the titles.
    Mostly these were captions - giving information about what we see on the screen. But they were presented as titles. A serif text with a gradient fill. Please no! When imparting information, please keep it as simple as possible. White sans serif text on a black background might be taking it too far. but a nice clean simple text in one colour, perhaps over a lower third or with outline/shadow to "lift" it off the background is what I'd recommend.
    Additionally I found the animated text a distraction - you had a pan across a still in one direction and text moving in another - this simple soul didn't know where to look!
    Also - if it's a caption, Please Don't Use Capitalized Text - that's best saved for titles only. What's more you weren't consistent, we had: "Operations were routine at Kuwait until September 11, 2001", but also "One Hundred and Eight (10 Crates of Equipment Arrive By AIr Freight from Germany"

As I said, that's pretty much a personal thing and if that's all I can fault the film for the I don't think you'll be losing any sleep over it.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I thought the use of stills was not at all off-putting, indeed it added authenticity. Appreciate your lips are professionally sealed but I would have liked a bit more information, perhaps explaining in a bit more detail information you have already included on screen.
    The change of flavour when we hit 9/11 was excellent. It didn't feel like it lasted 7+ minutes which is surprising given so much is stills and the subject is rather dry (in more senses than one!) and not one that particularly interests me, so good job well done! Having said it doesn't interest me I thought the shots of the dishes being assembled and mounted were particularly fascinating.
    Having said that theer were two things I most definitely did not like: Music and Titles/Captions.
    Music - well, more precisely one piece of music. The rest was fine but the Latin American piece seemed entirely inappropriate - not in an offencive way or anything, just plain and simple wrong. It was even ore bizarre in that it introduced equipment arriving from Germany. So we have a US site in a Middle East country with German equipment and you bring in Latin American music! It's just plain wrong!

OK, so maybe it's just a personal style thing. And maybe so it the following: the titles.
    Mostly these were captions - giving information about what we see on the screen. But they were presented as titles. A serif text with a gradient fill. Please no! When imparting information, please keep it as simple as possible. White sans serif text on a black background might be taking it too far. but a nice clean simple text in one colour, perhaps over a lower third or with outline/shadow to "lift" it off the background is what I'd recommend.
    Additionally I found the animated text a distraction - you had a pan across a still in one direction and text moving in another - this simple soul didn't know where to look!
    Also - if it's a caption, Please Don't Use Capitalized Text - that's best saved for titles only. What's more you weren't consistent, we had: "Operations were routine at Kuwait until September 11, 2001", but also "One Hundred and Eight (10 Crates of Equipment Arrive By AIr Freight from Germany"

As I said, that's pretty much a personal thing and if that's all I can fault the film for the I don't think you'll be losing any sleep over it.
    I really do appreciate the feedback on the captions; that was VERY constructive criticism. I was unaware of those considerations. Noted and logged. Concerning, "It was even ore [sic]bizarre in that it introduced equipment arriving from Germany. So we have a US site in a Middle East country with German equipment and you bring in Latin American music! It's just plain wrong!" I agree with you, it was wrong, but I did not have anything else in my music library that would fit. German equipment sent into a Middle East country, and beer drinking music in a Middle East desert setting, just do not mix, on many levels.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger;210034I
    German equipment sent into a Middle East country, and beer drinking music in a Middle East desert setting, just do not mix, on many levels.

If only Kashmir was copyright free. Perfect for industrial equipment in a dessert.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast