Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Video snobbery

Blog Entries

Default Video snobbery

I've been looking at getting a new camera for a while now. Problem is, there's nothing in the market that suits me. And these days I end up filming mostly on my iPhone. Not because it perfectly fits my needs, but because I always have it with me (the best camera is the one you have).

So the iPhone 6 plus intrigues me. It's almost like they made it just for me. I've been looking at reviews when I get the chance, and this article grabbed my attention:

http://petapixel.com/2014/09/22/shor...iphone-6-plus/

But it's the comments that got me. It's as if wannabe video peeps are afraid of what's to come.

For the average guy in the street, phones have come a very long way. The iPhone6 opens up many possibilities without the need to drag lots of gear around and I'm sure we're going to see a lot more of it.

For family vacations you're likely to always have your phone with you, so bringing a decent camera is now effectively a zero size, zero weight option.

The obvious problems still exist, the jello effect from the rolling shutter, especially on the shots from the car (slanted poles & signs etc) and one of the shots walking through the trees, but most people won't notice or care.

I'm certainly keeping my eye on the iPhone 6 plus, though it seems the size of iOS8 means more memory is required to do the same stuff (like apps etc).

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    The obvious problems still exist, the jello effect from the rolling shutter, especially on the shots from the car (slanted poles & signs etc) and one of the shots walking through the trees, but most people won't notice or care.
    I don't care how 'good' the images are, when you get that kind of 'jello' if you dare move the thing, then the whole thing becomes rather comical.
    Managed a couple of minutes, before I had to switch off, before I was sea sick....

Am I the only one who really hates rolling shutters?... The rest of the world (including those 'expert' video folk at the BBC it would seem) seem to be quite happy with their slanting verticals and comical shots of aircraft propellers and especially rotating helicopter blades.......as well as compulsory 'jello' with anything that moves quickly.

Here's hoping that global shutter CMOS sensors start to arrive a little further down market from the Blackmagic and the Sony F55 sooner, rather than later?......Not holding my breath though.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rogs View Post
    I don't care how 'good' the images are, when you get that kind of 'jello' if you dare move the thing, then the whole thing becomes rather comical.
    Managed a couple of minutes, before I had to switch off, before I was sea sick....

Am I the only one who really hates rolling shutters?... The rest of the world (including those 'expert' video folk at the BBC it would seem) seem to be quite happy with their slanting verticals and comical shots of aircraft propellers and especially rotating helicopter blades.......as well as compulsory 'jello' with anything that moves quickly.

Here's hoping that global shutter CMOS sensors start to arrive a little further down market from the Blackmagic and the Sony F55 sooner, rather than later?......Not holding my breath though.....
    I think you missed my point. It's not a camera. it's something you happen to have with you that captures moments. As a father of two, I've all but given up taking my camera out unless I'm feeling particularly brave.

It looked fine to me, and a lot of creativity went into filming and editing. I guess us amateurs have different standards to you pros (hence the title video snobbery).

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I think you missed my point. It's not a camera. it's something you happen to have with you that captures moments. As a father of two, I've all but given up taking my camera out unless I'm feeling particularly brave.
    It looked fine to me, and a lot of creativity went into filming and editing. I guess us amateurs have different standards to you pros (hence the title video snobbery).
    I'm not a pro .... not even a very good amateur!...I just hate rolling shutters!

I do take your point.... for those of us who were children 60 years ago all many of have are a selection of (often) rather faded black and white still photos of ourselves.. and of our parents and grandparents. No moving pictures at all of them for me....... So today's generation will be spoilt in comparison, in another 60 years.

And - in very recent times - those magical 'family' images are often of very high quality... and taken with a device that also serves as a global 'communicator'.. which you have in your pocket anyway. Perfect for that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rogs View Post
    I'm not a pro .... not even a very good amateur!...I just hate rolling shutters!

I do take your point.... for those of us who were children 60 years ago all many of have are a selection of (often) rather faded black and white still photos of ourselves.. and of our parents and grandparents. No moving pictures at all of them for me....... So today's generation will be spoilt in comparison, in another 60 years.

And - in very recent times - those magical 'family' images are often of very high quality... and taken with a device that also serves as a global 'communicator'.. which you have in your pocket anyway. Perfect for that kind of thing.
    The biggest problem is not the quality, it's whether it actually still exists. Those old black and white photos will last another 100 years at least and unless someone physically discards them they'll be around for generations to come.

Many people are simply not diligent in their archiving of images or video. They buy a new computer and fail to transfer their photos from the old one to the new one immediately, then as time goes on they forget about them and sell / trash the old one and their memories are gone. Perhaps their hard disk goes down and they didn't make a backup. Perhaps they get a new phone and all their photos on the old one are lost.

For those who are diligent in their archiving, future generations will indeed be fortunate, but for those who are not, and never get around to making physical prints, there could actually be very little or even nothing left for future generations to see.

While many people are using the cloud for backups, if you stop paying for those services, or you get run over by a bus and no one knows your password it's all gone.

People need to think about printing more of the photos they take.

In terms of video, both DVD and Blu-ray are on the decline and everything will be digital. Unless you have the means to store long term (not on HDDs!!!) in a format that will still be readable in 50 or 100 years, what good is all this video going to be for future generations? Each family needs a curator who will pass things on from generation to generation. If any one generation has little or no interest then it will all simply vanish in to the bit bucket of time.
    Last edited by David Partington; 09-24-2014 at 11:53 AM.

I just bought my wife an iphone 6 and it should be here in two weeks (the plus was overkill) - I'm looking forward to the slo-mo at full hd and 240fps (unless I misread the specs) - that should be able to capture quantum flutter and what not

Red dwarf is ten times better than Star Trek and MB and I could have filmed that on an iPod with a broken lens - it isn't the camera - it's the story -

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    I just bought my wife an iphone 6 and it should be here in two weeks (the plus was overkill) - I'm looking forward to the slo-mo at full hd and 240fps (unless I misread the specs) - that should be able to capture quantum flutter and what not
    Just remind her not to put it in her pockets, since so many of them appear to be easily bent! Go google if you don't believe me!

Black Magic Pocket???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast