Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Tall Tripod For DSLR + External Mic

  1. Default Tall Tripod For DSLR + External Mic

    Hi,

    can anyone suggest a good sturdy tripod for a sony a50 camera? I need one that is able to extend to head height.... film PTC for presenters etc.

    I also need an external mic, but don't know the first place to start ?

    I'm planning to film presenter show reels, music videos, and documentaries if that is any help.

    Thanks for any info

  2. #2

    Default

    Extending to head height depends on who's head and how tall they are My mother is 4f 11in, the guy down the road is 6ft 11in. That's a 2 feet difference!

    With that in mind could you be more specific about the height you need it to go to because different tripods go to different heights.

    I have 4 Velbon DV-7000 tripods that go to about head height, though I changed the crappy heads for Manfrotto.

    I also then have a Manfrotto 058B tripod that I need a step stool to stand on to reach the camera at full height (about 8 feet high). The problem with this one is it's big and heavy to carry around, so we only use it for static shots (we call it Big Bertha).

    For microphones look at the Rode Video Mic Pro as a good starting point, though if you want great audio from presenters you really need to be looking at Lav mics, either wired or wireless.

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Extending to head height depends on who's head and how tall they are My mother is 4f 11in, the guy down the road is 6ft 11in. That's a 2 feet difference!

    With that in mind could you be more specific about the height you need it to go to because different tripods go to different heights.

    I have 4 Velbon DV-7000 tripods that go to about head height, though I changed the crappy heads for Manfrotto.

    I also then have a Manfrotto 058B tripod that I need a step stool to stand on to reach the camera at full height (about 8 feet high). The problem with this one is it's big and heavy to carry around, so we only use it for static shots (we call it Big Bertha).

    For microphones look at the Rode Video Mic Pro as a good starting point, though if you want great audio from presenters you really need to be looking at Lav mics, either wired or wireless.
    lol....sorry....something that can extend to film people around 6ft? Would a Velbon DV-7000 be suitable?

    I'll have a look at those mics

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,842
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
    lol....sorry....something that can extend to film people around 6ft? Would a Velbon DV-7000 be suitable?
    Close, but only by extending the centre pillar, which makes the thing rather wobbly. The heads on the D7000 aren't as bad in my opinion as David suggests. Sure, they're not as good as Manfrotto 701s or 501s but they are usable if you are on a budget (the Manfrotto heads cost more than the D7000+head) and using lightweight consumer cameras. However the D6000 has a head that is renowned for seizing up as mine did several years ago.
    Tim

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Close, but only by extending the centre pillar, which makes the thing rather wobbly. The heads on the D7000 aren't as bad in my opinion as David suggests. Sure, they're not as good as Manfrotto 701s or 501s but they are usable if you are on a budget (the Manfrotto heads cost more than the D7000+head) and using lightweight consumer cameras. However the D6000 has a head that is renowned for seizing up as mine did several years ago.
    i have 5 spare Velbon heads sat in a box if you're interested You're right, they're not terrible, but I did need everything to have the same mounting plate which I admit coloured my view a little too.

    The Velbon DV-7000 would generally be good enough for 6ft tall people (with centre extended and properly locked down) provided you're on a solid floor. If you're on deep shag pile carpet then frankly any tripod is going to be less than stable.

    This guy is more than 6ft and the PTC was shot on a Velbon DV-7000, so you can make you're own mind up.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXBldiih0u8

    Most of the cheaper tripods can't go this high.

    It's also fair to say we shot hundreds of weddings using this tripod type, including all the speeches from the back of the room where we werr having to be fully extended to see over people's heads and I never had a problem with stability (other than floors that moved or kids that ran in to it!).
    Last edited by David Partington; 09-24-2014 at 07:05 AM.

  6. Default

    I think the DV-7000 would be more than suitable going off what you both have said, and looking at that video link.

    While we're on the subject of tripods....could you also recommend a budget flycam camera stabilizer? I'm maybe getting a little a head of myself here, but thought I might experiment with one in the meantime, with the scope of filming music videos in the future.

  7. #7

    Default

    I have a Hama "Traveller Compact Pro". It's quite good for the price but if you have a heavy camera you may need another tripod head.

  8. Default

    What camera are you using with that tripod? Also can it extend to film ptcs as in the above link?

    Cheers

  9. #9

    Default

    I use a Nikon 1 J2 which is very light. I personally use the standard tripod head but a friend of mine changed it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Aussie living in Laos
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Benbo Classic No 2 is the tallest tripod I've seen, it's also one of the sturdiest. I bought one in the early 1980s to mount 4x5 and medium format cameras on.

    http://www.patersonphotographic.com/benbo-tripods.htm
    Stills photographer dabbling in video.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What tripod do you use?
    By enc in forum Pre Production
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 08:32 PM
  2. Tripod
    By sjr1986 in forum Just for fun
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 10:54 PM
  3. Tripod Question
    By TimStannard in forum Hardware Problems
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-13-2010, 09:09 AM
  4. tall tripod for filming live music gigs
    By sasha in forum Cinematography
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 10:26 PM
  5. Tripod
    By ZiggyStardust in forum Pre Production
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 06:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •