Thread: XL1s and XL2

Default XL1s and XL2

Hi guys,
    I wish to find some answers to the framemode setting. Currently I'm shooting on 1/25 framemode, but if I adjust the shutter to 1/50, 1/100. Will the footages be recorded in 25fps? or it will goes up to 50fps, 100fps?

The 16:9 cine look is also giving headache as it stretches the screen vertically upwards, i thought it be fine when i edit it but after i digitised the footage remain stretch? I have read comments that the 16:9 isnt the true setting.....
    How can I shoot on 16:9 but yet fit onto 4:3 screen?
    Ideas are just dreams, unless they are put to action

Okay, let me answer this to the best of my ability and with the caveat that I am not a professional photographer or videographer.

Firstly, shutter speed and fps are two completely separate entities. You will not alter one by changing the other. Shutter speed contols only the amount of exposure to light time allowed for a frame (and in the case the of a camcorder the amount of charge the CCD receives). Changing the shutter speed directly effects the amount of blur any moving objects you are filming will create. The slower the shutter speed, the more blur apparent. Of course this has to be taken in consideration of the strength of the light which is entering the lens at that time too. The shorter the shutter speed the crispier the image and conversely the longer the shutter speed the blurrier the image.

Let's take a look at your scenario specifically. You are shooting in frame mode. As there are not many motion samples taken per frame in this mode it will help for you to have a slightly longer exposure time in order to create some blur and therefore rid yourself of the strobing effect shooting in frame can often produce. You will have to experiment with the settings a bit.

Do you have a specific reason for shooting in frame mode?

I don't understand your 16:9 question. Why on earth would you want to shoot in 16:9 for playback on 4:3?
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Default 16:9 to 4:3

You are shooting it as 16:9 anamorphic That means that when you watch it on a screen - regardless of the shape/proportions of that screen - it will stretch to fit that screen. I dunno if there is an option to shoot it at 16:9 letterboxed - if there is that will sort the problem out otherwise - you'll have to bring it in to an edit suite, squash it back down adn manually add the top and bottom black letterboxing.

First of all,
    LJR and Irish Mark, I would like extend my gratitude for your time in explaining the details to me, your information has greatly solved my headache Thanks!!!

Regarding the 16:9 mode question, Irishmark has got wht the answer i was looking for, I have some further enquires, does XL2 has the 16:9 letterbox? cos I'm wanted to shoots in 16:9 mode but showing it on TV, reason being shooting in 16:9 contains more pixels.
    Ideas are just dreams, unless they are put to action

Your tv screen has a resolution of 720 x 576 (PAL) and nothing will change that, irrespective of how you shoot your film. Do not mix up aspect ratios with resolution ratios as this is a road to a whole load of confusion and is one of the most confusing factors when choosing projectors for home theatre set ups.

My personal advice is, shoot in the mode for which you audience will be viewing it.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Blog Entries

If you add 16:9 footage to a 4:3 project and then resize, you get 16:9 letterbox. You do of course then lose effective resolution.