Thread: DVD & USB exports

Default DVD & USB exports

I have just produced a video for my client and put it on DVD as requested however he isn't happy that its not HD when it plays it on his laptop. I have explained to him that DVD is only standard Def. But he won't have it? I am right that DVD is standard def right?

Secondly I have said I can happily place his HD video on to a USB which is just plugs into the telly. But I don't quite know what file format to go with this?

Thoughts?

Yes you are right, DVD is a standard def. format. I think most TV's will play .mp4 with a h264 codec. but I'm sure each telly will have different spec. Perhaps your client was thinking of a Bluray disk.

Hope this helps.

Just in case some smart arse thinks of saying they managed to get a HD video on a DVD then please don't. DVD is a standard definition format. designed to be played with a DVD player that won't play HD video. Yes you can use the DVD as a data disk but the video would have to be quite small to fit onto a DVD.

USB in to a TV is a good option IF his TV supports it, but realise that any TV more than 2or 3 years old may not.

I also did some testing on both Samsung and Sony TVs for supported USB format. They both supported H264 (Main) in either MP4 or MOV but the biggest stumbling block was almost always the audio. Stick to LCPM for audio and it's more likely to play.

USB for computer playback would be H264 in an MP4 wrapper (as said above).

Don't be tempted to put the HD on a DVD because you will need a Blu-ray player to play it, and not even all those do that.

Another alternative is putting the H264 file on a DVD asa playable file, just like a USB stick. This assumes you can keep the file below 4.5GB (which is the data capacity of a DVD).

Blog Entries

Regarding USB sticks and TV. Be careful. Unlike DVD and BluRay. there is no standard. Read here:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...5366&Replies=9
    Tim

Brill, I am still arguing that he can't have a high def video on DVD without blu-ray and he will get the message soon! As for the USB I am unsure which is best 720 or 1080? I think 1080 because its full HD and that is what the video was filmed in... I am right or wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by OllieSmile View Post
    Brill, I am still arguing that he can't have a high def video on DVD without blu-ray and he will get the message soon! As for the USB I am unsure which is best 720 or 1080? I think 1080 because its full HD and that is what the video was filmed in... I am right or wrong?
    Define 'best'. Best for resolution : 1080p. Best for small file: 720p. Best for playability on slower computers? Probably 720p. Everything else, 1080p.

The confusion goes further I guess.... DVD is considered HD (720)... but not FULL HD (1080).... Many TVs are still being sold as HD (720)....when people are, in true, looking for a fullHD equipment.. BluRay is FULL HD.

The USB on TV thing is totally crazy! To the point where the same file copied to 2 different pendrives may give you different results on the same TV!!!! I tested this here at home (Sony TV).... The same file was read from one drive and not from the other. One pendrive was a Sandisk 32GB 45mbps and the other was a 64GB 95mbps.... Guess wich one didnīt work!!! Yup, the better one! Too fast for the TV perhaps???? The TVs are quite stupid on file reading I guess!

Maybe the difference was not from the pendrive... Maybe I saved one in a USB2.0 port and the other on a USB 3.0???? I donīt know.... the fact is that I forgot that the TV has a USB port... too "complicated!"

I would avoid the USB way for a commercial delivery, unless your client understand that there is NO guarantee that the file will work on any TV... The BluRay is the safer way.

Yes I am trying to avoid the USB but he won't have any of it. I emailed him and said how big is the USB and what make and model of telly to which I got a reply
    "my tv plays MPEG4 i think thats safe enough. 25fps 1080p this is the way i usually export and i seem able to play on most TV's ive come across. and have 3.5gb for videos on USB."
    So he want me to export a two full HD video which is about 25 minutes long and fit it in that space.... possible? Unsure but will see! (No very confident)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    The confusion goes further I guess.... DVD is considered HD (720)... but not FULL HD (1080)....

Say what?

Sorry but that's just completely incorrect!

DVD is standard definition ONLY. There is no HD, not even 720p.

For NTSC DVD the resolution is : 720 pixels WIDE (not high) by 480 pixels high in a 4x3 aspect ratio.

For PAL DVD the resolution is : 720 pixels WIDE (not high) by 576 pixels high in a 4x3 aspect ratio.

If you want widescreen then guess what..... those resolutions are THE SAME, but now the pixels are in a 1.33 aspect ratio to get to (approx) 16x9. You don't get more resolution by going widescreen, you simply stretch the pixels horizontally to give the illusion of wide screen.

HD is totally different.

720p is 1280 pixels WIDE by 720 pixels high and is native 16x9 aspect ratio.

1080p is 1920 pixels WIDE by 1080 pixels high and is native 16x9 aspect ratio.

So, please, don't go misleading people by saying DVD is 720p, it's not. It has 720 pixels horizontally (instead of 1280 for 720p) and 480 or 576 vertically (instead of 720 for 720p).

Just to clarify one more time:

DVD - NTSC : 720x480
    DVD - PAL : 720x576
    HD 720p : 1280x720
    HD 1080p: 1920x1080

See the difference?
    Last edited by David Partington; 09-16-2014 at 11:11 AM.