Thread: flavours of brittany

1. Default flavours of brittany

Heres a promo vid I did for some gite owners in France, have a look see what you think

Nice shots put together with the music. I think you fulfilled the brief of getting a flavour of Brittany. It may have been nice to mix a close up or two with the arial footage especially of the beach.

Nice job.

Blog Entries

I think it gives a flavour of what one might find in Brittany and so it's certainly fit for purpose. A good mix of shots, cut together in a pleasing manner.
    There were a couple of copter-cam shots with rather off-putting "jello" effects. I'd assume you've looked into the software solutions for this and dismissed them.
    I did not like the zoom shot at 1.57. It felt amateurish compared with most of the rest of the shots.
    I thought the final shot was far too long. I suspect this was to fit with the music ... but this didn't work for me for the following reasons.
    The music had followed the same feel throughout - in fact I'd suggests rather too much of the same repeated chord progression. Then the music changes from a finger picking style to block chords being picked in triplets. This change in music seems to anticipate a change in content of the video, but in fact we get nothing of the sort - just one long shot, leaving a slight feeling of disappointment. I'd be inclined to fade the music just before the coda at 2:07 and adjust the final images to fit.
    Tim

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I think it gives a flavour of what one might find in Brittany and so it's certainly fit for purpose. A good mix of shots, cut together in a pleasing manner.
    There were a couple of copter-cam shots with rather off-putting "jello" effects. I'd assume you've looked into the software solutions for this and dismissed them.
    I did not like the zoom shot at 1.57. It felt amateurish compared with most of the rest of the shots.
    I thought the final shot was far too long. I suspect this was to fit with the music ... but this didn't work for me for the following reasons.
    The music had followed the same feel throughout - in fact I'd suggests rather too much of the same repeated chord progression. Then the music changes from a finger picking style to block chords being picked in triplets. This change in music seems to anticipate a change in content of the video, but in fact we get nothing of the sort - just one long shot, leaving a slight feeling of disappointment. I'd be inclined to fade the music just before the coda at 2:07 and adjust the final images to fit.
    Thanks for that Tim. I was a bit disappointed with the jello myself. I only had a few weeks notice for this job and as I was going by plane so I had to come up with a copter/gimbal solution that fits in a suitcase, I already had a small copter but it didn't have a stabilised gimbal so I had to build one. I had done a bit of testing and the jello doesn't appear until it gets a little breezy but I only discovered that in France! I use fcpx and I can't find a plug in that deals with jello, none of the standard tools will get rid of it so if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Can you elaborate more on the zoom issue, should I have cut straight in to a zoom movement.

I know what you mean about the end and it was a bit of a compromise because I liked the rest of it, I did try finishing it before the block chords came in but when I did that it seemed to me to feel like the musician just slolwly got bored and stopped playing! so I decided to stick with the rather bolder ending

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigglesuk View Post
    Can you elaborate more on the zoom issue, should I have cut straight in to a zoom movement.
    Camera zooms (apart from in certain circumstances) tend to be associated with people who first get camcorders. Zooming (at least slow and middling speed zooming) is quite an unnatural thing to do - it doesn't reflect what we as humans do. Where a zoom can be effective is when we see a detail within a big picture and home in on it. Imagine a landscape in which we spot an animal. In real life we are at first taking in the big picture,then we spot the animal and take in only that. Our brain is doing a wide shot followed by a close-up. There may be a moment of "crash zoom" as we go from one to another, the zoom might be preferable to a straight cut if the position of the animal within the wide shot is not immediately obvious.
    Another reason for a zoom is the zoom out where you want to show a detail in context (eg you show a mountaineer and then zoom out to show the vast scale of what he is climbing)
    Another use of a slow zoom inwards is with a head shot where we want to build empathy with the character.

I assume your zoom was introduced o create a bit of movement in the shot which is fair enough, but a much better effect would be achieved with camera movement (ie using a glidetrack or dolly) as this gives the feeling of moving through the image - a feeling of being there - whereas zooming gives a feeling of, well, zooming in on a flat picture.

(I didn't say, but had meant to say I was being picky!)

Quote Originally Posted by bigglesuk View Post
    I did try finishing it before the block chords came in but when I did that it seemed to me to feel like the musician just slolwly got bored and stopped playing! so I decided to stick with the rather bolder ending
    You may well be right. It's all very well for me to theorise, and if I'd actually tried it like I suggested I may have come to the same conclusion.

Tim

It was nice footage and not bad at all but the shots did not seem to be connected for me somehow. It was more like shuffled clips for me.

7. Default

thanks for that explanation Tim, that makes perfect sense, I will try to bear that in mind in the future. I say try because theres an awful lot of new information in my head from the last couple of years of trying to get up to speed with digital film making and I ain't getting any younger

I enjoyed watching it. Some of those shots look wonderful. I look forward to the next one.

If I put on my 'picky' hat; there are aspects which interfered a little with my enjoyment:
    The aerial shots did not tend to be related to the previous or next scene. e.g. At 00:53 we see a nice bridge. Whilst I wanted to see (but understandably cant) see the camera fly through the bridge's arches, I expected the nest scene to show me another shot of the bridge; from ground level. Instead, I got an unexpected (and unrelated) cut to a beach scene.
    In some cases, I had to wonder why the ground camera was not steady. And in one instance (01:43), it was unclear what was intended to be in focus.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    it was unclear what was intended to be in focus.
    yes I know what you mean, I do struggle a bit with shallow depth of field on the bmpcc. I hope to get a g4 in the future but for now thats all I've got. The ground camera was a little unsteady because I only had a mono pod, you have to bear in mind that all my equipment had to fit in a suitcase that weighed no more that 15kg. I don't actually mind a bit of movement in a hand held shot like the market ones, for me it adds an 'organic' feel but thanks for the input its all helpful learning.