Thread: Add/Remove audio to QT

Default Add/Remove audio to QT

Hi,

I was hoping that someone might be able to help me. I'm not a video editor and what I've learnt has come from self teaching via youtube videos and forum posts and I've got a bit stumped.

I've working on a microbudget film and we were sent (by a reputable firm) the finished footage as a QT with 1 audio sound track and 8 channels - ch1-6 are 5.1, ch7-8 are stereo. (annoyingly unlabelled inside the QT)

We need to send it to someone new but with only the stereo and a newly created M&E (no dialogue) audio. I have the audio files but I'm struggling with this process.

I know in QT7pro you can delete and add audio files, but these create new audio soundtracks - so in this case it would be soundtrack 1:stereo and sountrack 2:M&E. As we weren't sent it like this in the first place I'm hesitant that that is the right answer...

Using FCP7 for exporting multiple channels of audio, I also end up with multiple soundtracks as above. If this is the way it should be, I'm wondering why a reputable company sent us the film with the audio split over 8 channels?

Does anyone have any clue as to what the correct way I should be creating this is? I really appreciate any help you might have!

Thank you very much!

In terms of why you were sent this.... did you give them instructions to do otherwise? It may be that they are used to exporting multichannel audio as a requirement for external mixing.

Given that you can load this in FCP7, why don't you simply load it up and export to video a simple stereo mix?

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    In terms of why you were sent this.... did you give them instructions to do otherwise? It may be that they are used to exporting multichannel audio as a requirement for external mixing.

Given that you can load this in FCP7, why don't you simply load it up and export to video a simple stereo mix?
    Hi David,

Thanks for the reply! No, they sent it to us like that and it hasn't been a problem when we've sent clients that drive.

I'm guessing that sending the clients the film and a folder full of audio choices would be fine, but it'd be great to make their specific requirements up for them in advance just in case. My worry is that having a QT with 2 different soundtracks isn't the correct way of sending it and that'll cause problems down the line...! As we're sending some of these to foreign countries I expect it could get quite tricky if there's a language barrier issue too!