Thread: Is there any way I could make my video look like this?

Default Is there any way I could make my video look like this?

Hi,

I'm trying to make my video look like any of these two videos:

This is as close as I can get with my little knowledge about video editing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH8G...ature=youtu.be

I'm using Sony Vegas by the way

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by SR7; 09-04-2014 at 09:24 PM.

The biggest difference in the clips is LIGHTING.

Let's take the second YouTube clip and look at it more closely. The backlight is more of a spot light and it probably has a blue gel on it. Yours is soft non directional white light.

The lighting helps to brighten the player's right arm while giving deep shadows at the same time. On yours there's just lots of light

The fret boards are lit totally differently too, with the spot light skimming across a fret board that's also at a different angle.

With that all said, you don't really say what it is about these videos you'd really like to replicate, so the video below is just a guestimate....

Let me know if you want me to remove it. It's only viewable on this site and with a password which is : guitar

Unfortunately I don't have access to Sony Vegas, but this should at least be possible. It took about 5 mins in the editor I use.
    Last edited by David Partington; 09-05-2014 at 09:09 AM.

That looks pretty cool! I turned down the brightness of the video with Sony Vegas, I don't know if it would make a difference but if you had the original video could you make it look better or the result would be the same?

Thanks!

Having the original video usually helps in terms of resolution etc, but after that it's usually not a big deal.

Unfortunately I'm not a Sony Vegas user so I have no idea how easy masks are to use for colour correcting, perhaps one of the Sony Vegas experts can jump in here....... (this was done in FCPX).

These are the steps I took, fairly simple stuff, but I guess most things are once you learn how to do them. I also added some other lighting at the end....

https://vimeo.com/105333631/

Same password: guitar

Would you mind sending me the first video you edited so I can download it? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SR7 View Post
    Would you mind sending me the first video you edited so I can download it? Thanks!
    PM sent with link.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Unfortunately I'm not a Sony Vegas user so I have no idea how easy masks are to use for colour correcting, perhaps one of the Sony Vegas experts can jump in here
    I'm not sure about "expert" but here we go.

In Sony Vegas Pro all these steps could be replicated like for like - except the colour keyed mask. Vegas does not have natively a colour mask, however exactly the same effect could be achieved using Secondary Colour Corrector (select based on the color of the hands and desaturate).

With Movie Studio, only regular shapes are available as masks and so for some aspects additional work would be required creating irregular shapes in a photo editing package or drawing package then importing these and using them as masks if irregular shapes are required (eg the fretboard). Movie Studio does not have Secondary Colour Corrector as far as I recall and so maskling the hand would have to be an approximation.

[EDIT] See vkmast's later post. Secondary Colour Correction has been included with Movie Studio since version 10.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 09-07-2014 at 11:46 PM.
    Tim

Excellent, thanks for that Tim.

Also worth noting that all of the shapes are feathered too.

All the stuff I did was quick 'n' dirty as a demo only. For a real job I'd likely take more time, but this shows what can be done in just a few of minutes starting from scratch.

Lighting is one of the biggest things to learn in video, right along with sound.

The OP is using Vegas Pro 11 (last build, I hope) judging by a previous post, so Tim's advice should be good for him. Tim is of course right about the masks in Movie Studio (Platinums), but as of v 10 the Colour Corrector (Secondary) plug-in is available in them as well.
    Last edited by vkmast; 09-07-2014 at 10:29 PM. Reason: American English in "Colour" corrected :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    The OP is using Vegas Pro 11 (last build, I hope) judging by a previous post, so Tim's advice should be good for him. Tim is of course right about the masks in Movie Studio (Platinums), but as of v 10 the Colour Corrector (Secondary) plug-in is available in them as well.
    Thanks! My original post updated to include this information.
    Tim