Thread: What Video editing software to buy??

Default What Video editing software to buy??

Hi everyone, who could share some valuable knowledge with me please. I am interested to get into video editing, I play piano and study composition, I have a digital camera and I would like to make videos for my compositions. The thing is that I have no idea at where we are in the capabilities of the technology. I have seen Hollywood can make films like star wars which is mostly video effect based, and Dr Who etc. But I imagine the technology here is not for the home hobby/pro user. I'd like to perhaps use my camera to take a video back drop of the white cliffs of Dover and add to it, PIP I think the terminology is, how capable is this? Is it possible to superimpose another real person in live video motion, into another live video etc., or is it just animations etc.?

So I have the trial versions of Corel video studio, Cyberlink Power Director, Sony Vegas Pro 13.
    I only have a regular Windows laptop (NOT APPLE) fairly high spec, running Sibelius 7.5, Cubase 7.5, Finale 2014.

Could any one give me some advice please, some links to webpages for info, what software is the most capable at all price ranges, what to avoid etc.

Please help me your my only hope!

What you ant is perfectly possible for home users, but alas not without some extra things you don't currently have (which typically cost money).

Hollywood movies like starwars are shot on green screen backgrounds and a feature called chromakey is used within software to isolate the actors and remove the background. The actor is then placed on top of an animated background to complete the scene.

Green screen is not only for hollywood. You can also be done at home with enough room, reasonable lighting, a green backdrop and software that has chromakey built in. We've done lots of chroma key and I can assure you we're not in hollywood

I'm not familiar with any of the windows software you mention, so can't be specific on how you would achieve this in any of them. Perhaps others can help. I use either After Effects or FCPX when I do chroma key.

Once you have your subject isolated (with transparent background) you can place them on a video track above your background.

The hardest parts of chroma key are getting the lighting, colour and shadows right. It's not something you're going to get right in 5 minutes (unless you're very lucky). It's likely to cost you quite a bit of money to get a good green screen appropriate lights, but it can be done on a lower budget if you plan carefully.

In terms of space, you'll need something at least 10ft x 10ft for head / upper body and somewhere at least the size of a double garage for full body. On trick for full body in smaller spaces is to mount the camera vertically (portrait mode) instead of horizontally, so you can get more head-foot in the frame. You will also be effectively reducing the size of the subject when superimposing (1920px height down to 1080px height) which helps reduce the effect of any chromakey errors.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by redshawnfitness View Post
    So I have the trial versions of Corel video studio, Cyberlink Power Director, Sony Vegas Pro 13.
    I only have a regular Windows laptop (NOT APPLE) fairly high spec, running Sibelius 7.5, Cubase 7.5, Finale 2014.

Could any one give me some advice please, some links to webpages for info, what software is the most capable at all price ranges, what to avoid etc.
    As David has given a create answer on background subtraction, I will give my opinion on software and video making in general. Personally, I would use the included Movie Maker or something like Video Easy to become familiar with the concepts of video editing while learning a bit about cinematography. No matter how great software may be, it cannot do wonders for poorly shot footage. Once you have a basic knowledge about lightning, framing etc., your recorded material will be of a much higher quality, while once you have a basic idea about video editing, you can put together some nice music videos. Then you can become more ambitious and invest time in chroma key and After Effects etc. Good luck!