Thread: how to pan

Default how to pan

hello everyone a new videography beginner. just wanted to ask this question. how to pan to another subject without showing people around it. for instance if i want to capture something that happens all of a sudden . is it possible for me to use my camcorder to pan on the subject without showing people around it or i need to use video software editing. thanks

Blog Entries

If the people are in front of the lens, they will be captured. That's how cameras work, I'm afraid.
    You would need to use editing software, but it will be extremely tedious. You will be using a process known as rotoscoping, which means you draw round the thing you want included (or excluded) in every frame. So that is 25 or 30 images per second. the more accurate the drawing, the better your video will look. And then you have to work out what you are going to put in place of the bits you've removed.
    You may be beginning to get the picture that what you are trying to do is not trivial.
    Tim

3. Default

Shallow DOF (depth of field) can help in that it throws a lot more out of focus (blur). Downside is most camcorders natively have a small sensor so you can't (maybe a bit when fully zoomed). Dslr or other larger format sensor cams will do it be but then you need to be able to pull focus between the two subjects whilst panning. What are you looking to hide?

thanks very much. i have movieplus i can use. in the movieplus there is feature called chroma key.im still learning and also i was wondering how these people move cameras to another person without showing people around it even on live tv

Can you probably give a link to an example? Chroma key is only applicable if you use a greenscreen (or bluescreen).

Quote Originally Posted by gradenelson View Post
    thanks very much. i have movieplus i can use. in the movieplus there is feature called chroma key.im still learning and also i was wondering how these people move cameras to another person without showing people around it even on live tv
    As said above, chromakey is used when filming against a green (or blue) screen. Other colours are possible as long as it doesn't conflict with any colours of the subject. However, there's usually no one else in the shot already, and the purpose of chromakey is totally remove the entire background (leaving only the isolated subject) so you can replace the entire background with something else, like a virtual studio set, still images or other video.

Chromakey is not designed to isolate a subject on regular backgrounds with other people present. for that you'd need to employ a masking technique called rotoscoping, usually done in programs like After Effects, the last version having a really nice roto brush to help speed up the procedure. However, this is not how it's done live, this is definitely a post production technique.

It would help greatly if you could post a like to an example of what you are trying to achieve, otherwise your question is so general it's open to lots of interpretation, and we could easily be thinking something completely different to what you have in mind.