Thread: Our first full commercial to digatalmarketing

1. Default Our first full commercial to digatalmarketing

Our 1st full commercial to our customer and i think we rocked in this 1 ! give me comments whats good whats bad.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YsR4Xp0gmI

The timelapse is way too long for my taste.

OK, I'm not sure if you came here for a pat on the back and be told it's great, or to ask for real input. If it's a pat on the back then you did awesome - stop reading here.

Now, if you want to know what I really think.... just about everything in it is too long. Going upstairs, too long, those should be 2-3 second clips edited together. We don't need to see the entire walk upstairs to know we went up, just a couple of seconds will do it.

We don't need to see the entire floor being pulled up (even as a timelapse) to know it was done, max 3-4 seconds on this. Same with the walls. I could go on, but frankly I got bored watching it because it dragged.

A big problem is the text based narrative. People have to stop watching the video to read the text. The text could be on too long for some people (they get bored) and not on long enough for others (they haven't read it all). This should all be done as voice overs instead of making people read text. Professional voice overs are really not that expensive, so look in to them and think how you could re-edit this to be shorter and more effective.

This entire video should have been no more than 60 seconds or so. A voice over intro telling you what you are about to see (i.e. what the company does), voice over telling you that they strip the existing floor / walls while the viewer is seeing it (reenforces the message - sight & sound) and so on.

Don't make the viewer read text - that's hard work for some people, easier for others, but it's work all the same. Never make a viewer / customer have to work to get information, they'll just turn off and go somewhere else.

If the TV advert only ran with subtitles instead of voice overs they would be a lot less effective. Try to imagine your promo video as an advert on TV. Would you have made it the same way?

Blog Entries

+1 both the above posts
    This isn't really a commercial, it's a video of someone doing a job.
    It looks like an unpleasant and tedious job. Seeing that is not really going to make me any more likely to hire this company over another. A commercial really needs to show what separates this company from the competition.
    I also don't like sticking the company name/logo over the top of the video. If the video had been interesting, I'd have been annoyed by it. As the video is (I'm sorry to say) uninteresting, I'm now associating the company with the uninteresting video.
    And the music - yes it's a matter of taste, but you really need to go with something that appeals to as many as possible (or is likely to offend as few people as possible). This is not positive sounding music.

I'm really trying not to be negative! What does your client do that set's them apart? Before and after shots might work, with perhaps a few clips of the work. Show the equipment/technology used - that is nearly always a positive message. Get some people talking to camera about why they're the best. Maybe some satisfied clients. Or may fun of the fact it's a dirty and tedious job - have some operatives (or a voiceover) saying something along the lines of "it's a dirty and dangerous job, but we love it ".

Basically, an advert has to leave the potential customer with a positive feeling towards the company.
    Tim

5. Default

+1 for your imput, i really do take it serious. ill see the point of view from you, but this is not supposed to go in tv commercial. if it would be on tv , it would be edited to 30sec with speaker, this is a video that comes to youtube and i optimize it so in future if some 1 search asbestipurku in our city theyll find this video in google 1st page.
    Asbestipurku is finnish language and it means asbest (toxic) removal . thats why video explains all work and what is happening there . so its caind of istructional video.
    But really , Thx for your imput !!! love it and its great to learn different types of minds and creative persons so i learn soooo much. This is why im hre, to learn and get good hints. so u now probably know im not spamming or just fishing wievs??

JImi

Ps. Sorry my english

Thanks for coming back on this.

Even if it's an instructional video, you don't want your viewer to have to work hard reading text or get bored watching sequences that are too long.

I would still suggest considering shortening some sequences and using a voice over. It will help people understand what going on more thoroughly and be easier to watch/learn from.

Your keyword (asbestipurku) is unlikely to be massively over subscribed on YouTube (I could be wrong) so getting your video seen if someone searches for that really shouldn't be too hard even with a 1-2 minute video.

Also, understand that YouTube tracks how much time each video is watched for, so if people are getting bored and not watching it all the way through then YouTube starts to count that against you on the search results.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Thanks for coming back on this.

Even if it's an instructional video, you don't want your viewer to have to work hard reading text or get bored watching sequences that are too long.

I would still suggest considering shortening some sequences and using a voice over. It will help people understand what going on more thoroughly and be easier to watch/learn from.

Your keyword (asbestipurku) is unlikely to be massively over subscribed on YouTube (I could be wrong) so getting your video seen if someone searches for that really shouldn't be too hard even with a 1-2 minute video.

Also, understand that YouTube tracks how much time each video is watched for, so if people are getting bored and not watching it all the way through then YouTube starts to count that against you on the search results.
    So could i do 2 versions, one with speaker and one with text. Im adding this clip to customers website and i know from history that people hate clips in webpage with sound so thats why i need version without sound, and for internet marketin etc i could do version with speaker? would that work better?

I know youtube thinks as you said and yea asbestipurku is not so high searched word and if some 1 is searching it he is probably looking company that does it so my number 1 goal is rank it high in google, its more important than youtube rank. i have now videos that are 2nd or 3rd in youtube list but in google they show up in 1st page and before these other videos that rank better in youtube search. My goal to marketing is to rank google and use these vids mostly like landingpages used to work .

Quote Originally Posted by Videoryhmä View Post
    i know from history that people hate clips in webpage with sound
    People do hate videos that are loud / nasty music, but if they are looking for information on something like a service then a voice over with appropriate (not loud) music in the background is often more than welcome.

If you watch all YouTube, including reviews and instructional videos where there is no talking and you have to read everything, most people complain and don't watch them. Think about that.

If you're using videos only to get google rankings then fine, but when a viewer clicks on that video and then gets turned off by it then it is actually being counter productive. They generally won't stop watching the video and start reading the web site, they'll just leave the web site altogether.

Lost of people have made the mistake of getting a video on their web site simply to help rankings without thought for the quality of the video or how viewers will react. Video is often the very first impression a visitor gets of the company, and first impressions always count.

I've spoken to many people in the last couple of years who have loved that they get more hits but can't understand why they are actually getting fewer inquiries than before. It seems that in every case the low budget video they had made was a major turn off for people and despite getting more initial views, viewers were simply going elsewhere.

Video content should be aimed at the viewer and not be there just for Google / YouTube ranking.

Videos on home (or landing) pages that are too long cause people to get bored and go away. A shorter video (almost like a TV advert) can create more interest and inspire them to view more of the web site, including any videos that may be longer and more in-depth.