Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drones and the go pro?

Default Drones and the go pro?

I'm looking seriously at buying into the drone/go pro combo, both for fun and . . . maybe providing clips for other video producers. (I'm aware of legalities of the licence before sale issues) Has anyone experience of best working combos? I'm currently looking at the DJI Phantom 2 + Zenmuse H3-3D and a Go Pro3.
    Any advice appreciated
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

I have the Phantom 2 + HD-3D + GoPro 3+ Black. Works very well. No real complaints.

I also added the iOSD mini and fat shark transmitter with a Flysight monitor for FPV capability. Being able to see what you're shooting is much better than flying blind

I'm getting between 13 and 14 minutes flying time with the above configuration, depending on the wind and how fast I want to fly around.

Keep hold of your money for a few months and get the GoPro Hero 4 when it comes out.

Think about investing in a gimbal, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Keep hold of your money for a few months and get the GoPro Hero 4 when it comes out.
    We'll see what that brings. The GoPro 4 will be interesting for several reasons, not least I hope they manage 4K @ 25p instead of only 15p as it is now. While 2.7K is OK, 4K is better

OTOH, I'd like to see a little more dynamic range and a reduction in rolling shutter. A global shutter would be awesome. I guess we can't have everything.

Cheers guys - I'm not gonna rush into a buy frenzy. There's a dealer who stocks most quadcopters that I'm going to visit in the next month to trial the benefits of various systems, so hopefully news of the GoPro4 features will have surfaced.
    David - Does the Phantom 2 + HD-3D do everything it should? Respensive enough on tracking/dolly shots, smoothness etc?
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    David - Does the Phantom 2 + HD-3D do everything it should? Respensive enough on tracking/dolly shots, smoothness etc?
    The HD-3H does an amazing job even in cross winds. When flying forwards with prop guards on and the camera looking straight forwards (so the quad nose is down and the prop guards appear in the shot) you can see how the quad is being bounced around but the shots appear steady!

In terms of how smooth the P2 is, yes it can be awesome smooth once you get the muscle memory for controlling it smoothly, providing of course there isn't too much in the way of wind.

It can set off pretty quickly, though tops out at about 16mph.

BTW - if you're getting one for fun, it's great fun, but if you're thinking of doing it for money there are lots of people having the same ideas so competition is going to get tough.

For those reading who don't know (Zero already said he's aware), in order to fly these things commercial you need CAA approval so need to go through qualifications. You will also need insurance that is specific to the aerial work.

There are lots of other rules you have to abide by, many of which will kill the fun for most people, like not being able to go near any people who are not directly under your control, or fly over property without the owner's permission, how far you can fly, how high you can fly etc etc. Insurance starts from around 500-650 (depending on the level of public liability you need) and goes up from there based on the value of the craft and how many hours a month you want to fly.

Cheers David - I know from a user who lives near Gatwick that there are a huge ammount of people (usually estate agents) who are pushing this service, and many are hoping their line about 'free filming service' - I only charge for the editing, passes off as a viable excuse - It doesn't! A few prosecutions later they are gradually thinning out, but have in the meantime created a big enough nuisance of themselves to prompt a serious review of flying for fun/gain.
    Pilot qualification isn't cheap (900), for a 2 day course and it shows how popular it is, last year there were 20 applications - This year? ......... 1200!!!

I've been searching forums till me ead hurts trying to juggle the benefits of using a Panasonic GH3 over the Gopro - Would there be huge differences in video quality? I know the beefier lifing power would cost more, but would it really be noticably worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Cheers David - I know from a user who lives near Gatwick that there are a huge ammount of people (usually estate agents) who are pushing this service, and many are hoping their line about 'free filming service' - I only charge for the editing, passes off as a viable excuse - It doesn't! A few prosecutions later they are gradually thinning out, but have in the meantime created a big enough nuisance of themselves to prompt a serious review of flying for fun/gain.
    Pilot qualification isn't cheap (900), for a 2 day course and it shows how popular it is, last year there were 20 applications - This year? ......... 1200!!!
    I've been searching forums till me ead hurts trying to juggle the benefits of using a Panasonic GH3 over the Gopro - Would there be huge differences in video quality? I know the beefier lifing power would cost more, but would it really be noticably worth it?
    I'm going through the BNUC-S process as we speak.

I'm using the P2 + GoPro as a stop-gap TBH. While it's great quality wise, I'm planning on flying a GH4 later on, though the BMPCC is coming under consideration due to lower weight.

The big gotcha with the GoPro is the need to de-fish it, other than that it's fine most of the time. Some shots work without being defished. Could I carry on with just the GoPro? Sure, you learn to work around the limitations, but I'd like shoot aerial for stock footage also, which means moving to a higher quality camera. The gotcha with the GH3/GH4 is the weight and the fact that only one lens (the Oly 12mm) is supported by the Zenmuse Gimbal, or so it seems.

But, there's a much bigger problem.... as soon as your aircraft, including gimbal, camera, batteries etc reaches a take off weight of 7KG or more then you simply won't be able to fly it in a congested area from October 2014 onwards (read: anywhere where there are people, houses, roads etc) unless you also pass a much tougher flying test which includes manual mode without the assistance of GPS etc. As it stands today you can make one-off applications to the CAA but from October those one-off applications are obsolete and you need to take the tougher test which then gives you a 12 month permission, subject to your completing a safety case.

I had been looking at the DJI S1000, but the new S900 looks a lot better buy. Even so, getting that under 7KG may also mean limiting flight times to 3-4 minutes!

Also, take care on the flight controller you pick. There are moves to have the current DJI A2 controller banned for aerial work in the UK since it's reliability has been called in to question (by seasoned pros) so many times.

BTW - your signature says Yorkshire - where exactly are you located?

Hi - That's the trap I didn't want to fall into - Buy something that's just ok then upgrade later. On the horizon will eventually be stock footage, so I'm looking hard at all the options without going too silly on price.
    http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/dji-s90...bal-1512-p.asp

My location - I thought you already had this - Haworth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast